PDA

View Full Version : hunting in central states

evont22
03-14-2005, 04:25 PM
just wondering who all on here hunts around the michigan/ohio/illinois/kentucky/tennessee area? Around my area (central indiana) I hunt deer, coyote, duck, geese, and dove. Let me know,
I am always interested in some good hunting stories or maybe even
swapping some hunts. Last year I did some traveling to hunt/fish and
would love to try more new spots as well as make some new hunting buddies. Thanks-

Evan

Up North
03-14-2005, 04:44 PM
Hey Evan,
Welcome to Lawnsite. I'm up here in northern Minnesota and hunting & fishing is my biggest passion right after my family. Not a so-called "trophy" hunter, to me a day in the woods or on the ice, or on the water is what it's about. If I bag something, that's a bonus, if I bag something close to being a trophy...that's a huge bonus. Deer, grouse, duck, goose, turkey, pheasant, and hopefully one day I can add moose to that list, but that is pretty much what I go after when hunting. Most of my fishing is done on the ice, walleye, crappie, and jumbo perch are my preferred targets. Another member here, Camland, is an avid outdoorsman as well. He's in the Michigan area.

A buddy of mine is just getting ready to head out on a snowgoose hunt in SD, I can't go but I have to try that one of these days.

Well, glad to have you aboard Evan, good luck in your future hunts. Going turkey hunting this spring?

Buck

geogunn
03-14-2005, 04:47 PM
I used to be a pretty avid small game/varmint hunter in the farm country in MIDDLE TENNESSEE.

my speciality was the long range groundhog shot with a bench rest rifle with a bull barrel and a high power scope.

I now make those shots with military style weapons with iron sights.

GEO :waving:

Up North
03-14-2005, 05:05 PM
I used to be a pretty avid small game/varmint hunter in the farm country in MIDDLE TENNESSEE.

my speciality was the long range groundhog shot with a bench rest rifle with a bull barrel and a high power scope.

GEO :waving:

Geo, nice Vols colors there... :D

Now when you start making those shots with your bow...then come tell us about it. :D

Buck

scagster
03-14-2005, 05:14 PM
we hunt rabbit,squirell,and deer h ere in ohio, but my family owns a dairy farm in warren county pa. me and my dad and a couple buddies go back every fall for a few days for deer season. its always ablast. its the only time the whole year that i get away from work, the kids and all the stress. my kids are getting older and they want to go, so i guess my down time will turn in to family time,oh well thats all right by me.

geogunn
03-14-2005, 06:22 PM
Now when you start making those shots with your bow...then come tell us about it.

BUCK--those stories will never be told. I am frightened of bows and especially bow people....

if I ever walked into the woods and looked up and saw a guy in a tree over me with a bow in his hand, I'd have a heart attack on the spot.

GEO :cry:

Up North
03-14-2005, 06:32 PM
BUCK--those stories will never be told. I am frightened of bows and especially bow people....

if I ever walked into the woods and looked up and saw a guy in a tree over me with a bow in his hand, I'd have a heart attack on the spot.

GEO :cry:

LOL! At least he'd be able to save an arrow... :D

Buck

ECS
03-14-2005, 09:33 PM
Not from the central states but get to hunt mulies and elk every year. :)

Green-Pro
03-14-2005, 10:23 PM
Hey Evont22 welcome to L.S. I'm in southeast Iowa, like Buck next to my family being in the great outdoors is my obsession. Around here I hunt duck, goose, pheasant, quail, and deer (bow, muzzle loader and shotgun) Love to boat on the Mighty Mississippi catfish in the summer and pan fish in the winter (I'm soft though gotta have my heated blind and ice hut) :rolleyes:

Some guys coyote hunt around here but I never got into that, also had some darn fools bring some razorbacks into the area from Oklahoma and turn them loose, this is a bad thing in farming areas, especially with confinements (disease) So guys been shooting the hogs up lately as well. Razorbacks turn up in the strangest places around here to, one was trapped in the Pastor's window well at the Parrish in town. Go figure.

hey Buck hey Geo

Happy hunting

-Geoff

Up North
03-14-2005, 10:54 PM
Hey Evont22 welcome to L.S. I'm in southeast Iowa, like Buck next to my family being in the great outdoors is my obsession. Around here I hunt duck, goose, pheasant, quail, and deer (bow, muzzle loader and shotgun) Love to boat on the Mighty Mississippi catfish in the summer and pan fish in the winter (I'm soft though gotta have my heated blind and ice hut) :rolleyes:

Some guys coyote hunt around here but I never got into that, also had some darn fools bring some razorbacks into the area from Oklahoma and turn them loose, this is a bad thing in farming areas, especially with confinements (disease) So guys been shooting the hogs up lately as well. Razorbacks turn up in the strangest places around here to, one was trapped in the Pastor's window well at the Parrish in town. Go figure.

hey Buck hey Geo

Happy hunting

-Geoff

Hey Geoff,
What's shaking? Getting ready to kick off the big season? I'm definitely ready for spring...tired of cold weather. Our high was 18 today...getting old (the cold weather, not me... :D ).

Buck

Green-Pro
03-14-2005, 11:47 PM
What's shaking? Getting ready to kick off the big season? I'm definitely ready for spring.

Ready for spring here to, had to put some gas in the L.P. tank couple of weeks ago...ooouch!! On a good note gonna start doing some actual physical labor end of this week and carry through the next week. Also got to meet with couple I gave estimate for some grading, seeding and plant bed installs, Wed. morning, while there I plan to have a cup of coffee with the Economic Development Chairman of that town. Looking at dump trailer in the A.M. Tuesday. In general lots of busy work going on, but I want to be nailed down ready when the ol' feces begins to hit the rotary occilator :)

How about you? Going full time this year? How is your wife and little helper? Is he ready? Chloe has been drawing pictures to hang up in the new shop, must have about a thousand of them by now.

-Geoff

promower
03-15-2005, 05:35 AM
Hres one, 20 3/4" inside spread, tine arent real thick but still a pretty deer. GF loves it on the wall :D

CamLand
03-15-2005, 08:43 AM
[QUOTE=geogunn]I used to be a pretty avid small game/varmint hunter in the farm country in MIDDLE TENNESSEE.

I go with a few buddies out to a farm and go Groundhog hunting,great way to fine tune your skills and making sure scope is dialed in :gunsfirin

Up North
03-15-2005, 11:22 AM
How about you? Going full time this year? How is your wife and little helper? Is he ready? Chloe has been drawing pictures to hang up in the new shop, must have about a thousand of them by now.

-Geoff

I'm going to hold off on the full time thing for this year. I'm in the process of getting my real estate license right now, passed my National & State tests, just need to finish one more course and I'll be licensed. I want to get a real estate client base built up so I will focus on doing that this year. I'll probably add a couple lawn accounts, but want to focus on getting the real estate thing rolling. Then in 2006 I'll concentrate more on the LCO business and see what level I can bring it to. Both should work "hand-in-hand" with each other as both require good networking. We'll see I guess. The family's good, my 3 year old has been plowing with me alot this year, my 1 year wants to be outside with me all the time...it's like a circus around here. :dizzy: Only time I can actually get anything done outside or in the shop is after everyone goes to bed. :D Good luck on that dump trailer, that will be a great addition to the business.

Buck

evont22
03-16-2005, 12:46 AM
thanks for all the answers, hope you all have a great 2005 mowing season and have an even better hunting season :) I dont know about you all but
I go into fall looking forward to hunting, go into winter looking forward to ice fishing and waterfowl moving down, go into spring looking forward to mowing, and go into summer looking forward to the landscaping! Its always something!