PDA

View Full Version : Ever use any rabbit repellents??

GarPA
03-15-2005, 06:25 AM
We had a couple large flower displays last year that were nearly runied by an unusally high number of rabbits last year. I;ve heard some people say Liquid Fence works well and others like hot pepper spray.
Have you tried any of these approaches?? I think I heard somwhere that a homemade mixture of cayenne and garlic powder works and does not harm the annuals although with the pepper sprays, every time it rains you have to reapply but Liquid Fence claims their product can handle 1" of rain per week and will not wash off.

Any recipes or opinions you have are most welcome...thanks

Grassmechanic
03-15-2005, 09:10 AM
I've used Hot Pepper Wax. It's a pepper spray, but it dries to a waxy film to keep the rain from washing it. You'll still need to re-apply it weekly for best results. I had one residence where the rabbits were so thick that the pepper sprays didn't work so good (I think each rabbit would take a bite off the plant until the hot sauce burned their little mouths). I had to trap them. I took close to 30 rabbits off that property.

GarPA
03-15-2005, 09:16 AM
Mike...where did you buy the hp wax?...or did you mix your own? I'd rather just buy it ready-to-use...thanks

Grassmechanic
03-15-2005, 09:21 AM
I bought it at a local nursery. I have not seen it in the bigger chains, ie Home Depot, Lowes, etc. It comes in a red spray bottle and is called "Hot Pepper Wax".

GarPA
03-15-2005, 09:37 AM
Just did a web search and found gallon bottles of concentrate at Gemplers for 35.00. 1 gal of concentrate will make 128 gallons of finished spray...that works for me to not have to worry over the possibility of having hundreds of annuals on a given property end up as rabbit salad....I'll try to remember to post back here after we apply it and see how it works...thanks again Mike

old dog
03-15-2005, 09:02 PM
I have a client who makes her husband pee in a jug and sprinkle areas that she does not want rabbits or deer in.It works.

polecat63
03-16-2005, 09:34 AM
Teenager with a pellet gun works, too.

Garth
03-16-2005, 04:39 PM
I use a combination of Habanero peppers that I grow and Castor oil. It works very well for deer also.Poor stupid creatures.

GarPA
03-16-2005, 08:18 PM
I do feel sorry for rabbits, deer and all the other creatures....we pave over almost every farm or open pasture area, so they have less and less natural habitat so they end up chewing on our precious little flowers and plants... and then we poison or shoot them....somethings wrong with that picture....

jimslawns
03-16-2005, 09:38 PM
80 lbs German Shepard. :p

newleaflandscape
03-17-2005, 12:06 AM
Until the mad cow disease scare you could buy dried blood meal almost anywhere. This works incredible to keep the rabits out. Human urine does good but thats pretty nasty and not good for the plant of course. Thing we usually do is get human hair like from the barber and put it in a nylon panty hoe and scatter them around. Keeps the rabits away as well as deer.

newleaflandscape
03-17-2005, 12:07 AM
Until the mad cow disease scare you could buy dried blood meal almost anywhere. This works incredible to keep the rabits out. Human urine does good but thats pretty nasty and not good for the plant of course. Thing we usually do is get human hair like from the barber and put it in a nylon panty hoe and scatter them around. Keeps the rabits away as well as deer. Also a loud set of wind chimes will do the trick