PDA

View Full Version : Bobcat 863 price?? and backhoe attachment??

bottlefed89
03-15-2005, 09:45 AM
Alright, I am about ready to buy a skid-steer. I wanted to find a decent used cat, but have had little luck - and I don't want to rent at all this year if I'm gonna buy one.
I recently came across a friend of a friend who as a 99 863 for sale. It is a nice machine, he is the original owner, and he has service records of everything, and had it religously serviced at a local bobcat dealer. The machine has been kept inside, has only 1100 hours, and is very clean compared to everything else I've looked at. Machine started right up, and didn't smoke when started cold at about 45degrees. What would any of you think this machine might be worth?? He is also selling a backhoe attachment that he bought new with the machine. He says the backhoe has less than 50 hours on it, and it's looks reflect it. It looks new as well.
I will be using this machine for general landscape duties, and will use it a lot on retaining wall installs. I spent about 5-6k in rental fees last year that this machine could replace, plus I've always wanted one so I think it's a good time to get one. If anyone has used the attachment backhoe, do you know if a thumb can be added to it?? I have two big installs coming up tha require removing a railroad tie wall, I was thinking something with a thumb would be very handy for picking up the old ties... Let me know what you guys think, I have a job this weekend I could use it on so I want to act on it if I'm gonna do it.
Now for another question. How does insurance work for the SS's. Also.... anyone rent out there SS's to other LCO's?? I have a a dozens contacts that I would trust with my machine that I know rent them when they need them, so if I could figure the insurance out I think something could work out for all of us. Anyone ever do anything like this?? Maybe a bad idea, just a thought.... thanks
greg

Tigerotor77W
03-15-2005, 10:40 AM
If you're building retaining walls, you might find the 863 to be a little unstable. While it's a moderately competent loader, it's definitely not a heavy-lifting model by any means. (If you don't do much stone work, it might work; it also might be okay if you put counterweights on it... a lot of counterweighting.)

Given the offer he's given you, I think a price around $20,000 is a fair deal (with backhoe). Is the loader a G-series model (curved cab, triangular lights)?

Generally, you cannot put a thumb on a skid steer backhoe attachment. Aside from voiding the warranty (if it continues over), you could weld a fixed one on, I guess, but it might not give you the performance you are looking for.

bottlefed89
03-15-2005, 12:08 PM
I figured I would eventually add weights, but thought the 863 might be a decent choice as I wil use it for other things where a bigger skid-steer might be too big... What do you think?? He is asking $19,000 for both, that also includes a toothed bucket. I was thinking of offering him $18,000 and seeing what he thinks... Oh, and I think when I order a big-a$$ bunch of wall blocks, if I order a ways ahead of time, I can get them to only stack the skids 3/4 full... so that might also help some. AND, it will need tires soon, how much should I figure on that??
thanks
greg

Oh, and no, it's not a G series...

Scag48
03-15-2005, 10:23 PM
If you're doing alot of natural stone walls, that 863 with a backhoe is going to annoy you more than it's worth. An excavator really is the way to go for building walls. With that backhoe attachment, you can only swing 180 degrees. It limits where you can put dirt and everything else by half. They are much less mobile in which you have to get off the seat of the backhoe, climb into the cab of the skid steer and then reposition the machine, unless it's a Cat backhoe attachment where the backhoe can be operated from the seat of the skid. Also, like Bobcat S250 said the machine will be quite unstable handling rock. I have pondered getting a backhoe for our 216, but they are extremely expensive, about $8000 for a Cat. Someone pointed out to me that the cons of the backhoe far outweigh the pros of having a cheaper setup compared to the cost of a mini ex that is 3 to 4 times as much in price. In our line of work, which consists of mostly above ground work and not straight line utility trenching, we need a machine that can spin all the way around and be a quick, productive machine. I think $19,00 is a pretty good deal with the backhoe, but $14,000 just for the skid would be awesome. Although I think you can accomplish your needs with this backhoe and skid, but my advice would be to save the extra $5,000 from not buying the backhoe and save up for a mini ex.

bottlefed89
03-16-2005, 09:13 AM
Well, do you all think I would be better off to buy this unit - I know several folks that are fimiliar with the owner, and they have used the machine and know that it is in good working order. OR...do I keep trying to find a used CAT, take the time to drive somewhere to get it (since the chances of finding one locally are looking slim) and then hope its in good shape...

Also, anyone ever used something like this (http://www.skidsteersolutions.com/pages/2/index.htm), or have any thoughts on it?? Looks like it might be kinda cheesey, but would be easy to tear up tie walls with, and that is somewhat important to me. Also, looks like it could dig a base trench decently..... thoughts????

Scag48
03-17-2005, 02:54 AM
First of all, I'm a huge Cat fan, so I'll promote the fact of you searching for a Cat machine. But, I'm also going to tell you that I think you have a pretty good deal on your hands with this Bobcat, if that's exactly what you're looking for. I'm not going to tell you that Bobcat is a bad machine, because I don't believe that is true, but I do believe Cat has some better features and benefits that make them more versatile, productive, whatever, in this business. If you're really set on getting a Cat I would encourage you to make a trip down to your Cat dealer and at least look at a new machine, and they might be able to direct you in the location of a used machine that you desire. The dealer can show you the features that Cat has exclusively put on their machines that benefit you, the customer. The call is up to you, I'd say you have a good deal on the Bobcat if that's exactly what you want. Nobody says you can't be picky, you're spending upwards of $15,000, buy what you want and what makes you happy. Good luck!

bottlefed89
03-17-2005, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm actually just gonna buy the Bobcat for now, I'm giving him $13,500. I'm going to use it throught the spring/summer while I continue to search for the cat. Then if I can justify it, I'll either up my spending limit, or buy a new cat. If I use the Bobcat all summer and then loose a couple thousand selling it, I'm still way ahead of rental fee's, and the pain of renting. After searching for a while, I really don't think I can find one of the bigger cats with what I want, in decent shape for the money I am spending right now.

Oh yeah, I'm gona pass on the backhoe attachment. It's not going anywhere, but you guys are right, I need a mini more than this attachment. I think I'll just do the machine and one of the cheap backhoe attachments, I think I could do more with it.
Thanks again for all the advice, I'm sure I'll have more ??'s when I finally have the $$ for a decent CAT.
thanks
greg
bottlefed89@hotmail.com

Scag48
03-18-2005, 02:21 AM
You have made a great deal on that machine, $13,500 is quite an astounding price. Buy the best machine you can afford and upgrade later, looks like you have that plan in place. Good luck and have fun.

aries
03-18-2005, 10:13 AM
I agree with scag dont wast your money on the backhoe part save and get a mini excavator! you can fly through you jobs alot faster when you spin in any direction.