PDA

View Full Version : anyone using small pickups?

thoakes3
03-15-2005, 11:03 AM
because of the price of gas, plus just getting started, i'm using an '04 nissan frontier. looking at all of your truck though, i'm jealous!
just wondering if i made a mistake. i dont really plan on getting "big time" any time soon though.

npilcher
03-15-2005, 11:41 AM
i have used small pickups in the past. A 87' mazda b2000 + 98 frontier both did fine. I was only doing my mowing maybe 2-3 times a week. Just side money. I was pulling bobcat zt200 echo trimmers and stihl blowers all on a very heavy 6x10 tilt trailer. trailer alone weighs 1200lbs. never had a problem with either truck very tough and dependable. Now i do more mowing and have toyota t100 full size.

Smalltimer1
03-15-2005, 11:41 AM
The old Izusu Pup is a good little (VERY little) truck to use for running around, but not good at all for pulling any kind of trailer bigger than a 5x8. They get 30+ mpg but top out at 55mph if it is an automatic. You probably can touch 70mph if it has the 5 spd.

LB1234
03-15-2005, 11:57 AM
I don't think there is anything wrong with it what-so-ever. If it works for you why not? Why spend the extra money on something that can tow more, haul more, go faster, etc. if you don't need to? You are being smart by keeping your costs down IMHO.

MTR
03-16-2005, 07:21 PM
I don't think there is anything wrong with it what-so-ever. If it works for you why not? Why spend the extra money on something that can tow more, haul more, go faster, etc. if you don't need to? You are being smart by keeping your costs down IMHO.

I like what you said here...it is true, the less cost to operate the better off you are economically. Look at gas price right now...compact pickup seem to be more realistic than 1/2 ton pickup. All you profit go into gas that is gonna hurt.

TURF DOCTOR
03-16-2005, 07:27 PM
Operate at your speed not ever1 else's,do what suit your needs don't worry about the next 1

Patrick.B
03-16-2005, 07:37 PM
i've got a Dodge Dakato w/v6 and pull my 6x12 greats Never have any problem with it ,,,,i'd see some of them guys out here with a $40.000 truck with big inclose trailer ,,,Hate to see there gas bills ,,,, :cool2:

LB1234
03-16-2005, 11:27 PM
There is a guy running around my town with a little chevy pickup...forget what they are called...it appears to be around 10 years old...judging by its boxyness...similar to the size of the colorado.

Anyway...I live in a section of town where most lots are somewhere in the 100x100 range. If I pull my ext cab 3/4 Ton pickup w/ 24' trailer and put the gate down I'm close to the length of the properties (keep in mind the double width driveways). Its actually a bit of a hassel for me...needless to say I don't operate there, just for my own yard.

This guy comes in with his smaller pickup and 6x12 (guessing) trailer. He is nice and manueverable, doesn't have to worry if there is a car (or two) parked in front of his houses, doesn't need to slow down to see if he can fit down the street with parked cars on both sides. He has a nice thing going for him...found a niche and is really working it to his advantage IMHO...just plain good ole' smart business planner if you ask me.

And for anyone that says bigger is better or those with smaller 'toys' have less of a business...shame on you :nono: