PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Em Up

Bobcat s250 NY
03-15-2005, 05:45 PM
I was curious to know what method do the majority of you guys use to cut lets say Holland stones for a soldier course that is on a curve. I find myself wasting lots of time trying to figure how to cut the angles so there are no spaces between the stones . I ran across this tool called the wedgiemarker from pave tech.

:cool2: http://www.pavetech.com/newtools/WedgieMark.shtm

Anyone using it ?? Good? Bad ?

Thanks

Masonman
03-15-2005, 06:13 PM
Experience of cutting 1000's of pavers lets me cut the borders without any tools besides a red pencil. I do keep a trowel handy for a straightedge. I use the pencil as a gauge of a sorts to align the trowel for the cut mark. I spend about about 5 seconds max I figure this way. I can usually do an entire job without a recut either, and I keep tight, straight joints.Most of the border I am cutting is 6x9 pavers

For caps, I use my 16 inch level either laid sideways or the regular way, depending on the gap.

CNYScapes
03-15-2005, 10:17 PM
Anything thats straight will do the trick, no need to bother with that thing. Besides if you look at the pic where they are cutting caps it looks like they expect you to cut both caps to make them fit together, this is only rarely needed only on a very tight curve. Then again if it gives some people enough confidence to get the job done, buy it !

SodKing
03-15-2005, 10:21 PM
I use either my standard level or simple carpenters square. same thing as the wedgie.

Nice unpaid advertisement though

cgland
03-15-2005, 10:42 PM
That thing is a waste of time. I use a carpenters triangle. It works great. When you gain some experience you will find that some of the gadgets they come up with are crap.

Chris

mbella
03-15-2005, 10:46 PM
Often times, on a soft curve, we get one number and roll with it. 3/8" to 0 is pretty common. One guy cuts, one guy lays.

jreiff
03-16-2005, 12:21 AM
We have found out that when you have one guy mark and one guy cut, that the cut pavers do not always fit the best as when the marker cuts the pavers himself.

Just because the marker knows how he wants that paver to be cut.

Can tell the cutter how you want it, but does not always turn out as good if you were to do it yourself.

Anybody run into this?

Bobcat s250 NY
03-16-2005, 09:42 AM
Thank you for all the replys :blob3:

cgland
03-16-2005, 05:07 PM
Jreiff - We usually don't have a problem as long as the paver is clearly marked. I would think that it would take too much time for the marker to cut his own pavers. If you have 2 guys that always mark & cut they get pretty good at it.

Chris

zedosix
03-16-2005, 06:14 PM
If the gap is not too big I just lay the stones without cutting them. Depending on type of brick we are using also. Most of the brick we lay is the tumbled stone which has large gaps anyway, so we just top up with stabilizer sand and all looks good.

Residential Recreation
04-06-2005, 01:58 AM
i am also a carpenter use a speed square they are cheap and lightweight. speed squares have been used before jesus was a carpenter. anything that old sure does the trick. everyone allways has a new product that is supposed to be better than the older version. but if it has worked since the dawn of time why change it. remember the flowbie. idiots bought them and little kids had hickies on their head for weeks after their mom cut their hair. fortunatly i went to bo ricks when i was a child.
:p

neversatisfiedj
04-06-2005, 09:04 AM
No I usaually cut every stone on a soldier course on the curves- looks great ! I just lay the next stone and overlap it and make my mark. Use a wet saw to cut.