PDA

View Full Version : Need a good plan for SE PA yard

rbeitz
03-15-2005, 06:21 PM
Hello all,

I live is SE PA and I have a 2 acre property with approx 55K of turf. Last fall I aeorated and then overseeded with Turf Type Tall Fecsue at 7lb/k using a slit seeder. I had a soil test done prior to starting this project and right after seeding I put down an organic fertilizer (4-6-4) at the recommended amounts (14lb/K) and also spread a domotec lime at aprrox. (80lbs/K).

Now that spring is approaching (not fast enough for me) I want to give my lawn a fighting chance to overcome the dandelions etc. I plan to mow at height of 3.5 to 4 inches and I also want to put down more organic fert and something to help control the weeds. Last time I brought this up someone recommended putting down Lesco Dimension in a 0-0-7 analysis as it would control the weeds and while not totally organic it would be enviro friendly.

Do you all agree with using dimension and could anyone recommend a good organic program to follow this year?

Thanks!

NattyLawn
03-15-2005, 07:39 PM
Rob,

If you want to stay with organics, why not use a corn gluten pre-emergent? It will cost you a bit more (about 25%), but it will keep you organic if that's the route you plan to go. Let me know if you're interested. I work in the area, so maybe we can work something out as far as a drop off if you want the corn gluten.

rbeitz
03-15-2005, 10:16 PM
Rob,

If you want to stay with organics, why not use a corn gluten pre-emergent? It will cost you a bit more (about 25%), but it will keep you organic if that's the route you plan to go. Let me know if you're interested. I work in the area, so maybe we can work something out as far as a drop off if you want the corn gluten.

Thanks for the reply Richard. While I do want to stay as organically based as possible (my wife insists on it) I am not convinced that corn gluten is very effective as a pre-emergent. I have done a lot of reading about corn gluten (on this board and elsewhere) and you have those that claim it works and those that say it doesn't, including some recent University studies. Those that claim it does work say that you have to put it down at over 40lb/k to get any kind of results. I would think that alone would make it too cost prohibitive for the size of my yard.

dishboy
03-16-2005, 09:09 AM
It has heen reported that almost all pre-emergents have a root pruning effect, thus I only use spot spray post emergement herbicides in my efferts to limit use of chemicals.

Check local feed mills for low pricing on bulk materials that give excellent results for your fert. choice.

NattyLawn
03-17-2005, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the reply Richard. While I do want to stay as organically based as possible (my wife insists on it) I am not convinced that corn gluten is very effective as a pre-emergent. I have done a lot of reading about corn gluten (on this board and elsewhere) and you have those that claim it works and those that say it doesn't, including some recent University studies. Those that claim it does work say that you have to put it down at over 40lb/k to get any kind of results. I would think that alone would make it too cost prohibitive for the size of my yard.

I'm not Richard, but I do work for him. In a lot of cases, it takes 3 years to see the positive results from corn gluten. The customers on our organic program get the cg with NPK of 7-0-2 three times a year.

timturf
03-17-2005, 10:38 AM

And that is way too much nitrogen, in fact more nitrogen then you need for the whole year!!!!!! 66% to 100% of nitrogen should be applied so it is available to turfgrass plant in the fall for your area!

CGM maybe be an acceptable choice for a pre emerge on warm season turf only!

NattyLawn
03-20-2005, 11:32 AM
Our cg is applied at 10lbs per k sq. ft. Most of these lawns have been on the program for a few years, and most need no weed control at all through out the season.

rbeitz
03-23-2005, 05:53 AM
Our cg is applied at 10lbs per k sq. ft. Most of these lawns have been on the program for a few years, and most need no weed control at all through out the season.

Thanks for the reply. Are you just recommeding using CG on these lawns, or are you following the 5 point fertilizer program listed below from the naturalawn website? If I were to follow your program listed below, where would you add in the CG application?

Amount of Fertilizer to Apply Formulation Application Time Frame

1 Bag Alternative® Jumpstart 25 - 1 - 5 February/ March

2 Bags Natural Alternative® Booster 7 - 0 - 2 April / May

1 Bag Alternative® Mid-Year Cruiser 18 - 1 - 5 June / July

1 Bag Natural Alternative® Recuperator 10 - 15 - 5 with PGA August / September

1 Bag Alternative® Winterizer 20 - 1 - 4 October / November

Each bag is designed to cover 5,000 sq. ft (except the Natural Alternative® Booster which covers 2,500 square feet. Note: The fertilizer may be purchased individually below, but there is a minimum order of 2 bags. Applications may begin at different times depending on your location.

NattyLawn
03-23-2005, 10:37 AM
Rob,

If your lawn is thick enough, we go with CG all year except for a lime app (if needed), and the winterizer (30-0-4). If not, we would put down the chem. pre-emergent for the first year only. We do recommend 6 apps as well. The 7-0-2 listed above is the cg we use. Also, we're applying at 6lbs, not 10 as I quoted in a previous post.
Our price compared to the website will come out much cheaper. Give us a call if you need more info.

Wolfie's L&L
03-28-2005, 08:09 PM
Wheres the job located at Rob? I may be able to answer some more questions of yours. I'm located in York, just south of the capitol.

Jason

rbeitz
03-29-2005, 03:59 AM
Wheres the job located at Rob?

Jason,

I live in Douglassville, between Reading and Pottstown. I have 55K sq ft of turf and I am trying to decide which organic products to go with. I have been looking at Natura Lawns programs and also reading up on the organic based ferts at Lesco. My local Agway is also carrying organic products now. I bought Harmony from them last year but I hear Harmony has now gone out of business. I am finding that the 5 or 6 step organic fert programs are priced about double when compared to the synthetics based products from Scotts and/or Lesco. What are you using on your lawns?

Thanks,
Robert Beitz