PDA

View Full Version : Applicators Exam

jay
02-07-2001, 09:09 PM
I will be taking the Qualified applicators certificate test in March, and was wandering whats the best books to study, and what kind of questions are on the test. Is it easy or hard? If anyone from C.A. can answer this it would be best, but all take advise from any of you.

Thanks

BUSHMASTER
02-08-2001, 04:03 PM
Not sure about the C.A test but check with your county exstenion office thats their job..

jay
02-08-2001, 06:04 PM
I did no one seems to know anything down there, They list about a thousand dollars of books to buy was hoping to know the best one for the test.

MLI
02-08-2001, 08:11 PM
My foreman and I are taking applicators exam Friday. Ill let you know if its difficult

jay
02-08-2001, 09:35 PM
Thanks

Frank
02-09-2001, 12:57 PM
jay

in my state there is a core book and a catagory book you MUST study these books to past the test. now someone can correct me if im wrong but you could spend a $1000 on diffent books but it does you no good unless you study the core and catagory books.

beck
02-09-2001, 03:15 PM
I just ordered my books(cost $40) today after talking with someone who was licensed for about a dozen years. He gave me a few example questions and I realized that this was not something i could go in and guess my way to passing.

My original thoughts were that i might be able to get by I. One of his examples was "how many times are your supposed to rinse a container after using it? I figured that was common knowledge but i sure as heck didnt have any idea that it should be rinsed 3 times

my test is the at the end of the month

Garry
02-13-2001, 03:30 PM
Here in Rhode Island, the test was 175 questions long. The book that was supplied was a MUST READ. I watched most people finish this test in less than an hour, while I personally took the whole three hours. The test is not hard, but, it can be tricky. Don't waste your time purchasing book after book when the most important book you need is supplied to you.

Island Lawn
02-15-2001, 12:28 AM
I've got an option for you!
I just found out today that I passed my test!

When I first found out when my test date was, I only had 1 week to prep! I didn't have time to order the study books!
I could have ordered the books and waited till the next test date, but I'd still be waiting because the next one isn't till March 20-ish.

So I did a search and found
http://pested.unl.edu

They got all the info there.
I burned up a cartridge of ink printing the study books.
Never read them. (Working on that now. LOTS of info there!)

Instead, I went to the practice tests. I concentrated my effort here. It wasn't so much the questions because there are different questions on the real test. But ther is definately a lot of info w/in the questions themselves!

A decade of college taught me little more than how to take tests. (the 90's were great, man...so they tell me!)

These mult choice questions have simple patterns to them and even if you don't know the answer, you can reason most out the the process of elimination. Usually, a couple of questions will relate to each other and you can use the combined info to better educate your guess.

I am not advocating this as the "best" way...but I passed.
There is a lot I missed out on by not studying like a good little johnny. There is certainly a lot I dont know. But I have a good network of pros that do.

Besides the most often used (LS), there are my supplers, my county's extension agency, numerous pro orgs...

There are other threads on this topic. Do a search if you havent already.

KindGardener
02-16-2001, 08:57 PM
Jay -
Next wek I'm going to the Long Beach Show - Last year I picked up info on taking the QAC test. On the back of the orange or yellow paper was a list of the study guides - a couple books - not expensive.
I'll be there next Wed, if I see them there I'll pick up info & email ya. I'm sure they havde the info on a website somewhere (finding it.... )

I had a brainfart & forgot to send in my application to take the test, (Mar 24th?) so I'll have to wait till the next go round. Good luck!

jay
02-17-2001, 01:18 PM
Thanks all be taking mine in Bakersfield on the 15 or 16th of March, they said they won't give me a exact date, or time until about three days before(kind of sucks). Where were you going to take yours at?

KindGardener
02-17-2001, 09:02 PM
I've got family in San Diego - I was going to do it there. Didn't they have one at the end of March in LA?

jay
02-17-2001, 10:13 PM
I'm not sure about that. I'll have to look around and find the list of test dates I had it seems to have walked away. Below is there web site though in case you don't know it. I look on there and coulndn't find any test dates, it might take years to look thourgh all the stuff they have on that site. I finally got some answers from my county extension telling me they havn't made a new study guide for the laws and regalations but they were going to make me a copy of 98's study guide. They said this was a must to study, but when I called sacremento they told me to just buy the "Safe and Effective use of pesticides". So don't listen to sacremento study the old guide. Hope this helps you if you havn't went through this mess yet. I wish someone new what they were doing down there in Sacremento.
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/

KindGardener
02-18-2001, 02:05 PM
Hey Jay,
Busy week, what with the flu, rain, etc... anyway, I finally got a minute to locate the DPR info (also for any other California operators who want to "get legal" re spraying pesticides.

Schedule of license test & application filing dates
http://www.cdpr.ca.gov/docs/license/sched2001.pdf

PUBLICATION LIST- gives links to the things you ned to study (a lot is actually online- no text to buy)
http://www.cdpr.ca.gov/docs/dprdocs/dpr003.htm

A killer site - where I got most of the info or links (a San Diego agency)
http://www.co.san-diego.ca.us/cnty/cntydepts/landuse/agri/pesticide_licensing_and_registration.html#forms_and_helpful

And then, of course, the true, "keys to the kingdom" as far as finding stuff on the net:
http://www.google.com
(go there, put in "Qualified applicator certificate California"... "peace on earth" or whatever you want to find out about)

gotta run, my buddy just called - his wife just delivered their firzt kid!

Fine Gardens Landscaping
03-14-2012, 02:06 PM
Chances are you can find a book for category B through the link Jay provided http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/

That's where I found my book.

I'm doing my test in April for category Q maintenance gardener and they make a book specifically for that test that can be purchased for about $20. It's "pesticide application compendium 8, Lawn and Residential Landscape Pest Control" written by university of California statewide integrated pest management program.

It's a fairly easy read, and there are practice Q&A at the end of each chapter.

RigglePLC
03-14-2012, 08:33 PM
Think government bureaucrat when thinking about test questions. They will probably emphasize pesticide safety, reading and understanding the label and knowledge of the regulations of pesticides.
Naturally there will be a couple of questions about calibrating a boom sprayer. Be sure you know it well as they were mainly thinking about farmers when they designed the test.

There is usually a second test in your category, but you know a lot about grass already.
Am I right? And weeds, insects, disease so forth.