PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Problems..

scraper69
03-15-2005, 10:44 PM
I had two customers call within the last month stating that their lights (low voltage) are out.??? why? Both said that not all went out. 1 of 5 fixtures was still on. What could be the problem. (Weather/Snow/ Loose connect) These jobs were installed 2yrs ago. >> any suggestions THANKS.

jreiff
03-16-2005, 12:07 AM
What did you decide on doing for a truck?

How about for hiring a couple of guys?

scraper69
03-16-2005, 08:36 AM
Still waiting on both.. season is not even ready to begin.. buying time.

NEED ADVICE ON FAULTY LIGHTS ____ASAP thanks

scraper69
03-16-2005, 08:13 PM
Did anyone have any probs with lighting over the winter..?

polecat63
03-17-2005, 07:58 AM
Check the connections. If only one light went out that would be my first guess. If they're not sealed, freezing could have seperated them. Also the bulb of course.

jd boy
03-17-2005, 09:18 AM
check the bulbs that are out. they can tell you some info. If the bulb looks black, that is a sign that you have a voltage problem. Get your voltmeter out and start testing!
My guess since these systems have been in for 2 years is connections. Voltage problems don't just show up. It would however explain why there is only one light left working.

If you had a deficit in voltage at your first light it will burn out quickly. When it burns out the next one will go and it will move right down the line.

D Felix
03-19-2005, 09:50 AM
D'oh!!!! If they have been in for 2 years, think about it..... Do you have any light bulbs in your house that have been in the same fixture for 2 years, and have been on for 8-12 hours per day??? Yeah, it's a sarcastic tone, not meant to offend.

Bulbs burn out. Check the bulbs, then the connections! I would bet that the bulbs burned out. Generally they will probably need to be replaced yearly.

Dan

impactlandscaping
03-19-2005, 09:56 AM
Dan's right..most of the 24W bulbs are rated at 1000 +/- hours life. Take some extra bulbs over, and see what happens. If not, refer to above, and check voltage down the runs, then connections last..

D Felix
03-19-2005, 10:31 AM
You should be shooting for 9-11 volts at the bulb, BTW. This is why we have been using muliti-taps on most of our light jobs; it's easier to balance the voltage across the building/house.

Dan

Gilla Gorilla
03-19-2005, 11:15 AM
I was at a Vista Low Voltage lighting class the other day and the instructor said that if one bulb is burning out at around its average hour life span you might as well sell the customer all new light bulbs because you will be saving the extra service calls in the future for the customer.

He also said to spray the back of the bulbs and the socket with silicone spray even on the new lamps rite out of the box. He said to take those apart and spray the brand new sockets also.

lawnguyz2k3
03-19-2005, 11:53 AM
Hey 2 yrs ahhhhhhh NOT YOUR PROBLEM ANYMORE! maybe you should sell them some new lights....

scraper69
03-20-2005, 09:54 AM
Exactly what i did... the one tier lamp was a connection prob and the floods were just dead. so i junked and sold two new! Thats the way it goes. Hey 2yrs - nothing is guaranteed.

BTW,, i obviously checked the bulbs first. Thats so elementary

D Felix
03-20-2005, 09:59 AM
So you are saying that the whole fixture was bad after only two years? If that's the case, you need to use a different manufacturer....

scraper69
03-20-2005, 05:42 PM
no == i didnt pinpoint the exact prob. but it was much easier to replace 2 floods and bill the customer. Minor cost.. i ate 1/2 -- probably find the problem when i have more time and then have 2 spares.