PDA

View Full Version : How do I deal with this???

cstafford
03-15-2005, 10:44 PM
This is my first time coming across this situation. So I'm reaching out to my landscaping brothers/sisters out there. The attached images will show what I'm up against. Need to create a bed of ornamental grasses in the planter. Here's my delimna...

If pack sand/soil in the planter, here in New Orleans, termites will have a feast on the fence over time. Althought the fence is painted, moisture from the soil/rain will break this down over time.

1. How do I protect the fence? (Plastic sheeting etc....)
2. Should I build a wall inside of the planter close to the fence? Hmmm...

Also you see there are shut off valves for the plumbing to the pool. I can't cover them up. I need a work around. Please provide any suggestions.

The planter dimensions are 30' (L) x 3'8" (W) x 2'2" (D).

I appreciate any feedback. Thank you for your time.

LB1234
03-15-2005, 11:01 PM
okay, trying to think outside the box.

I would build a series of shelves inside the 'bed'. Say three 10' sections. I would then place ornamental grass in planters along the shelving. I would have the shelves sit low enough so you can't see them from the deck, or while swimming in the pool. You could also place hanging baskets along the fence to give a little color and soften up the fenceline.

Not sure if it would work...just a quick thought.

bigviclbi
03-15-2005, 11:49 PM
Fill n the area with gravel, then buy some large pots and situate them so they show from the pooldeck.Simple, clean, and low maintenance since you can spray the gravel for weeds.

pjslawncare/landscap
03-15-2005, 11:50 PM
Yea, Tough one there. I think LB has a good suggestion with the shelves. At 2'2" you dont have all the height in the world to work with but u should have enough. I would build the shelf out of perhaps redwood or treated 2" x 2" half inch space between and solid board walls front & back to hold the planters. Then line with a fabric and fill with mulch. Perhaps 10" or 12" pcv cut in 2" lengths can be utilized for the shut off valves. I would disconnect their lines at the elbows and slip pcv over and reconnect. Whatever u do, please post finished pictures. I would love to see completed. Nice job to show off creative posebilities

WhohasHelios?
03-15-2005, 11:58 PM
okay, trying to think outside the box.

I would build a series of shelves inside the 'bed'. Say three 10' sections. I would then place ornamental grass in planters along the shelving. I would have the shelves sit low enough so you can't see them from the deck, or while swimming in the pool. You could also place hanging baskets along the fence to give a little color and soften up the fenceline.

Not sure if it would work...just a quick thought.

That's a very interesting way of approaching it! I like it!

I was instantly thinking of all the drainage products I could come up with..Though that is a much nicer, not to mention more cost effective way of going about it.

As for the plumbing back there, just put an access box if you go with any sort of soil or gravel. Any irrigation store will be happy to sell you one for a slightly outrageous price.

I cannot wait to see pictures of the final.

-Reuben

cstafford
04-05-2005, 01:23 AM
Thanks all for your help on this.

Anyone else out there with suggestions?

YardPro
04-05-2005, 08:37 AM
here's what you do.

go to a builders supply and get an adhesive rubber membrane. people use them on the edges of roof's.

install along the fence overlaping the edges. that is building code here if you have to raise the grade up past the wood framing on a house. works for 20+ years on homes, should work fine on the fence.

grasswhacker
04-05-2005, 09:12 AM
Fill n the area with gravel, then buy some large pots and situate them so they show from the pooldeck.Simple, clean, and low maintenance since you can spray the gravel for weeds.

Good idea IMO with either gravel or other attractive stone. Decorative pots would also be appealing.

kwelch
04-15-2005, 11:34 AM
I think all these ideas are great. I would use all the ideas together. I would following Yard Pro's idea about the rubber material as a barrier against the fence. Then I would get some pressure treated lumber or use stone and box out the plumbing so if you put soil in there the boxes would keep the soil out so if you ever need to get to the plumbing you could easily get to it. You could put some sort of lid on top of the boxes like lattice on a hinge. The plumbing looks to be evenly spaced so when you put in the grasses you would be fine with spacing. Just remember ornamental grasses grow and grow and grow so don't put them close together. I'm going to have to dig up mine and split them sometime soon. They are overgrown. Well thats my 2 cents.

Shadetree Ltd
04-15-2005, 10:10 PM
I would build a wall right beside the fence. If you cover up the fence you are setting yourself up for fence replacement. If the fence ever needs to be replaced this would be the only way to save everybody a lot of extra work.

Scott