PDA

View Full Version : Staking Leyland Cypress trees

Lawnworks
03-16-2005, 10:12 AM
What is the best way to stake down Leyland Cypress? I need to bid on staking about 75 trees w heights from 5 foot to 13 foot.

TScapes
03-17-2005, 02:44 PM
I am a firm believer that you shouldn't have to stake a tree if it's planted right. There are circumstances that require it though, such as an area that is consistantly battling wind shears. In that case I use a cheap garden hose, roll of wire, and wooden stakes. What is the case of your particular location? There are products that are better for staking, which can be found at most wholesale nurseries, but like I said.... I never stake a tree unless it is absolutely necessary. It gives the tree an artificial crutch.

Lawnworks
03-17-2005, 08:19 PM
There was a bad ice storm that knocked them out of place. I was looking for a commercial product reccomendation and advise.

steve in Pa.
03-17-2005, 09:16 PM
Tscape finally a scaper who is on the same page as me. I agree 100 % with you. I feel that scapers are getting paid for staking a tree when really it doesn't need it. I have actually seen a company stake a 3' arb. seriously 2 stakes on it which were bigger than the tree!!LOL We don't stake anything unless homeowner request or we feel thier is a need. As tscape has said garden hose wire and wooden stakes.

Lawnworks
03-17-2005, 11:46 PM
What other methods are there? Garden hose and wire doesn't look to professional.

TScapes
03-18-2005, 11:19 AM
Garden hose and wire doesn't look to professional.

First, let me say something in regards to your comment. I personally worked for a company that had $15 million in annual sales, and was one of the top 5 largest companies in the Atlanta area before being bought out by TGLC in '98. We had countless properties win not only regional awards, but National and International awards. Several of those awards were given by ALCA, which pretty much sets the market standard in the green industry. Every... I mean EVERY tree that was staked on these award winning installs had this garden hose and wire system. It works, it looks good, but most importantly... it is safe for the tree. The key is to not leave the stakes sticking out of the ground more than 2-3". You must also remove the stakes after the 1 year stabilization period, any longer and the tree could out grow the stakes and cause damage to the tree.

Listen, I am not trying to toot my horn or say "look at me", I am just offering my suggestion to your thread. Take it and do with it as you wish. If you pick up any Lawn & Landscape magazine, you will find other systems that utilize locking systems that are inserted into the ground. But the principle is the same. If you are in fact interested in my "inexpensive" method, I will be happy to go into further details as to how to do it the correct way (allowing for the correct tension for the tree),

MarcSmith
03-18-2005, 02:02 PM
I always bid to stake trees, many landscape installtions require staking to get off bond....while working for tglc i baught 2" hardwood stakes 6ft long. on a 4' tree I would use a single stake on a larger tree iwould cut the 6' stake in half and drive 3 3' stakes into the ground and then use black hose and then wire the trees. after 12 months the steakes usually will break off atthe ground very easily and then cut the wire. I would use the wire that farmers use for the electric fence, I would buy a mile at a time....

There are the Duck Bills, screw in types, nylon webbing and some others that actually just anchor the root ball....with nothing above grade.....All depends on how much you wnat to spend or how often you want to go back to straighten a tree up after a windstorm...Anybody else sell gator bags with a new install....Easy money...

I agree that certiain trees if planted properly did not need stakes, but I did not like to chance it or let my crews, or the sales guys make that decision... if you think about it, to use a hardwood stake and wire and hose, you might be out 6-10 bucks of actual materials and maybe 1/2 of labor. But if you bid for it, its more revenue....

Lawnworks
03-18-2005, 03:08 PM
Alright TScapes,
I am all ears. It sounds like your method is widely accepted. How big of stakes do I need and where can I get the wire from? and what is the correct procedure?

TScapes
03-18-2005, 05:41 PM
You can do what Marc said, but you can go to Home Depot or any place like it and buy a bundle of stakes that already have the v-point cut on it (their about 2-3' long). They are basically the same as what is used in the silt fences. Anyways, pre-drill a hole in the center about an inch from the top. I can't recall the diameter of the wire, but you buy it by the roll and can usually find it at farm supply, retail store, co-op, etc. Like marc said, electrical fence wire is about the same diameter. I call it "Bailing wire" as it is similar to what they used to use for straw bales before string. Anyways... you are going to use 3 stakes in a triangular pattern with the tree being the center. On a Maple or normal tree, you would go to the first set of branches and place your hoses around the collar, but in your case try to find a spot about 1/2 way up on the smaller trees and about 5' on the taller ones. Using black soaker hoses is sometimes less noticable, but it's still the same principle. Once you run one wire thru the hose, take both ends and go to the stake and wrap it around it making sure it is tied up tight, like you would your loaf of bread. (2-3 times around and twisted together) Your stake will be placed at the edge of your tree ring or in your case the dripline. This will essentially be 10-12' of wire since it is wrapped up to the base and back to the stake. You may want to place it before you cut it, just to make sure. Once you hammer the stake in the ground (at a 45 degree angle towards the center of the tree), you can take another stake or a screwdriver, your hammer, pruner... whatever, and place it between the wires. Then start turning it like you are raising or lowering your trailer jack(over and under). Once it starts to twist, this will increase the tension on the wire.
It's really hard to describe the process via typing... and I am sure it is hard to understand without seeing. I will try to find a site that it is used on and take a picture either post it or email it to you..... will that help? By the way, I am not saying my way is the best procedure, I have just seen it done time and time again. Marc said the same thing , and he sounds like he came from the same gang.

Sir Mow-A-Lot
03-18-2005, 07:59 PM
Thats a good description of the process to a 'T'. Just buy the materials and try it out. You might screw up once but you'll get it. Also, one stake might be enough, opposite of the lean.

Turfdude
03-20-2005, 02:06 PM
FOr trees that need to be staked (or are in the specs) we stake in a tripod fashion also. We rely on link lock as opposed to hose & guy wire. They make different sizes of this product for diff. caliper trees.