PDA

View Full Version : Need Plant ideas

coastallandscapesolutions
03-16-2005, 11:07 AM
Here is the situation. I have a client who has a neighbor that he wants to put up something more then a chain link fence. The neighbor put the fence up. It is 5 feet tall and 300 feet long. My client wants to plant something very fast growing that will cover the fence. The plant must do well is sandy soil with little attention.... i.e. little water during the summer. The goal is to have something that blooms at least once a year and will grow 6-8 feet tall.

Ideas? I am having a brain fart and can't think of anything...

Thanks,

Brian

BSDeality
03-16-2005, 11:12 AM
is sea spray an issue? and do you want a columnar shape? or is mounded/rounded alright?

03-16-2005, 11:28 AM
is sea spray an issue? and do you want a columnar shape? or is mounded/rounded alright?

No sea spray. 3 miles inland from the ocean. Flat land. I was thinking Oleandors maybe.

SOMM
03-16-2005, 01:32 PM
These perennials are real fast growers if you purchase them at 2 yr maturity and at 3 or more gallon size (after initial 30-day moisture schedule, can survive solely on rainwater. they should be avaiable now at a native plant nursery):
Does anyone grow Forsythia proximate your customer?
Its turning yellow flowers this time of year.
Privet (white flower),Viburnum (white flower), and tall (purple, light purple, or white flower variety) Lilac and Butterfly Bush all flower in May. You'll prune these varieties 2 to 6 times a year depending on rainfall amounts. These only flower for a month (except the Butterfly Bush, May-Fall), but unless pruned regularly -all are candidates for Primo Maxx growth-suppressor applications, they grow THAT fast).

I don't think Azaelias and Rhodo's will grow that fast for you without extensive soil conditioning.
Crape Myrtles will flower in the summer to fall for you (ranging from white to red, fuschia and deep purple flowers throughout July-September. Be sure tall sized Crapes, and not dwarf sized.

TScapes
03-16-2005, 03:06 PM
Does the entire 300' need to be blooming? Why not create a bed that utilizes multiple plant varieties? An example may be a row of viburnums, then a tree or large evergreen with some smaller perennials in front of it, then continue the line..... This way it's not a 300' straight line, but rather a bed line that has some curvature to it. It really just depends on what your customer wants to spend. I personally like "Uglyagnus" as a "wall or fence blocker", but it will get taller than your 6-8' height requirement. Not knowing your plant zone, I did a 100' fence row with Otto Luyken Laurels, then spaced out Yoshino Cherries and some Burning Bush here and there to create a "colorful wall" with only foilage being my color. Of course the Cherries have their blooms in the spring and the otto's have small flowers, but overall you are getting a dense wall of dark green and then the bright red foliage of the BB's in the fall. Just some additional ideas to help with that brain fart.....

Garth
03-16-2005, 03:31 PM
How about one of the following.
Merremia aurea, Lantana Patriot petite Rainbow, Plumbago auriculata, Cotoneaster glaucophyllus, Lalandei Pyracantha, Jasminium polyanthemus,or Acacia rigens. Very colourful and very low maintenance plants these are. Of course you'll want to be careful with Ipomoea acuminata or any of the Loniceras. Passiflora acuminata would cover very quickly but you'd have to prune it yearly. Then there's always Rosa particularly the Lady Bank and Joseph's Coat.Think of it as job security-Garth

03-16-2005, 06:04 PM
Zone is 8a-8b. The customer wants the fence hider to be uniform in size and shape.

Coffeecraver
03-16-2005, 06:17 PM
Crape Myrtle has many shapes and sizes

Cryptomeria is a nice spacer between

Mix the planting and space at least 10-12' apart

:)

scraper69
03-16-2005, 07:17 PM
Talk him/her out of blooms.. and go Arborvitaes (nice wall), you could stick a few burning bush in there too.

Are arbs used in your area.??