PDA

View Full Version : Trim Blue Spruce

Infinite
03-16-2005, 06:15 PM
How much would you charge to trim and shape a Blue Spruce Pine that is about 10-12 ft. tall? Anyone have any pictures of trimmings they have done one Pines?

Grassmechanic
03-17-2005, 06:45 AM
Depending on how much trimming/shaping needs to be done, I charge $100 and go up from there.

sheshovel
03-21-2005, 01:02 PM
Blue spruce should not be pruned at all they have a natural habit and should be left that way.Any attempt to shape it will ruin it.You may hold back growth by removing the candles on the very tips of the tree yearly and that's all.Once you cut this evergreen the branches don't come back,leave it to it's natural shape and habit.
If you call it a Blue Spruce Pine you haven't got the knowlage to be cutting any tree's.

impactlandscaping
03-21-2005, 01:25 PM
Exactly....quality nurseries properly shape and candle their stock during field growing. I have never seen the need to "trim" a blue spruce, other than to lift the lower boughs for air movement / aesthetics purposes..

Grassmechanic
03-21-2005, 03:52 PM
Proper pruning of Blue spruce will make then fuller. I have several customers that do not want the size of the trees to get out of hand. Yearly pruning keeps them in check.

mdvaden
03-21-2005, 09:00 PM
Removal of the branch ends removes the hormones that controls growth.

Cutting the circumference usually yields very high maintenance.

In many cases, such a tree falls to hedge shears because the number of cuts increases dramatically to the point that it's too expensive and time consuming.

There does seem variableness in the natural tendency of those to appear layered or just real thick.

sheshovel
03-22-2005, 10:15 AM
Please tell us if this is a Spruce or a Pine tree you are talking about here.Pine trees have their needles inlong bundles of 3 or 5 and a Spruce has short stiff needles carried in whorels around the branch

HayBay
03-22-2005, 12:45 PM
IF the top of a Spruce is cut off, I have seen others retrain one of the lower horizontal limbs into the new main Vertical Limb. The reason the tree top was cut was because of Storm Damage.

dishboy
03-22-2005, 01:17 PM
Blue spruce should not be pruned at all they have a natural habit and should be left that way.Any attempt to shape it will ruin it.You may hold back growth by removing the candles on the very tips of the tree yearly and that's all.Once you cut this evergreen the branches don't come back,leave it to it's natural shape and habit.
If you call it a Blue Spruce Pine you haven't got the knowlage to be cutting any tree's.

I can not say I would agree with a generization as this. If you remove crossing limbs, selectively remove limbs where things are too crowded or too heavy, or have a tree where size must be controlled pruning and training can improve visual quality as well as overall plant health. Arbitrarily pruning or heading back should be avoided by those who do not know what they are doing.

Garden Panzer
03-22-2005, 01:23 PM
NEVER top trees!!! It kills them.
here is a site for pruning tips, please read it as it pretains to this thread:
www.plantamnesty.org

launboy
03-22-2005, 06:04 PM
Spruce pine--say what :dizzy:
sorry i had to.

old dog
03-22-2005, 07:55 PM
You can control blue spruce growth by lightly shearing but this encourages thickening
of foilage,which in turn encourages fungus and wet weather ,high humidity problems.
Plan on replacing them in 10 to 15 years if you do.Christmas tree growers shear them every year to shape them!

Infinite
03-22-2005, 11:59 PM
I'm sorry it's the Blue Spruce, I'm just going to trim last year's growth back.

dishboy
03-23-2005, 11:05 AM
I'm sorry it's the Blue Spruce, I'm just going to trim last year's growth back.

This is fine as long as you trim back to a joint where two limbs emerge. If you leave a stump or do not cut back to joint,that limb or growth will die back to the joint anyway, and this looks bad.

sheshovel
03-23-2005, 11:35 AM
If you would have read my first reply closely you would have read that I said you can control growth by removing candles at the ends of branches.If he "selectivly"removes ANY branches that YOU think are too crowded or heavy,you ruin the tree.Colorado and other Blue Spruces are geneticly bred for a certain color,habit,and growth pattern so they look right every tree.You normaly will not find crowded,crossing,or too heavy growth growing on these trees,they do not need any training or help.

dishboy
03-23-2005, 02:23 PM
If you would have read my first reply closely you would have read that I said you can control growth by removing candles at the ends of branches.If he "selectivly"removes ANY branches that YOU think are too crowded or heavy,you ruin the tree.Colorado and other Blue Spruces are geneticly bred for a certain color,habit,and growth pattern so they look right every tree.You normaly will not find crowded,crossing,or too heavy growth growing on these trees,they do not need any training or help.

Well the first time you remove a candle, the interior candles continue to grow, do cross and and limbs become very heavy. I have never seen a spruce that did not have crossing or limbs that were growing in front of other limbs. Selective pruning does help things IMO, especially when the tree has been touched by someone who is clueless. I have seem many beautiful speciman Spruces that I assume you would call "ruined" by reputable tree services. So I guess we can agree to disagree on this issue. Ornamental pruning is a art and often improves on what may be "natural" growth habit.

Grassmechanic
03-23-2005, 03:30 PM
Well the first time you remove a candle, the interior candles continue to grow, do cross and and limbs become very heavy. I have never seen a spruce that did not have crossing or limbs that were growing in front of other limbs. Selective pruning does help things IMO, especially when the tree has been touched by someone who is clueless. I have seem many beautiful speciman Spruces that I assume you would call "ruined" by reputable tree services. So I guess we can agree to disagree on this issue. Ornamental pruning is a art and often improves on what may be "natural" growth habit.
I have to agree with you dishboy. I've been pruning evergreens for over 20 years now. I'll have to take some pictures and post them. It does not ruin the tree. I learned the process using topiary pruning techniques and applying them to trees.

sheshovel
03-24-2005, 12:12 PM
OK I will give you that.We will agree to disagree.I was speaking of an unpruned virgin Co Blu Spruce in the context of a person that's going to prune it and has no idea really how.
I do agree they CAN be pruned,if somebody else has screwed them up 1st.Anything Can be pruned,if you know what you are doing.It's really OK for them to have branches growing in front of one another,
and if you don't remove any candles in the 1st place,then you don't get the overcrowding in the inside of the tree.
My point was most Blue Spruces do not need pruneing (of coarse unless like you said somebody else has screwed them up),or unless they have been planted in the wrong place. :rolleyes: :)

old dog
03-24-2005, 07:37 PM
OK I will give you that.We will agree to disagree.I was speaking of an unpruned virgin Co Blu Spruce in the context of a person that's going to prune it and has no idea really how.
I do agree they CAN be pruned,if somebody else has screwed them up 1st.Anything Can be pruned,if you know what you are doing.It's really OK for them to have branches growing in front of one another,
and if you don't remove any candles in the 1st place,then you don't get the overcrowding in the inside of the tree.
My point was most Blue Spruces do not need pruneing (of coarse unless like you said somebody else has screwed them up),or unless they have been planted in the wrong place. :rolleyes: :)
The secret is to have designers place these plants in the proper locations so
they have room to grow and be natural.Many people do NOT like natural and
insist on controling growth.But as service providers we must make the best of what we have to make clients happy!Personally I like them natural since they
tend to be less"full" and resist disease better.The ones that are impossible
are people who want to "make the tree smaller! Agree?

sheshovel
03-25-2005, 12:09 AM
I totaly agree.I do have a bad habit of refusing to constanly cut a tree to an unnatural shape and will suggest removal or transplantation and replacement with something that is better off there.I have a rep to uphold and will do what I can to a point.But when that point gets to where it makes the tree a freak,I won't do it.But I do agree.

Staffordnurseries
03-27-2005, 12:32 AM
I grow Christmas trees, and have thousands of Blue Spruce. You can control their shape and growth by shearing, but they do respond to shearing by getting a great deal thicker. By selective pruning I have brought many bare ugly trees into good shape.

Simple rule of thumb, only cut the previous year's growth. Achieve a general cone shape, do not cut deeply into tree (you wont if you stay on the new growth)

Try one, a truly ugly misformed one that you would like to rip right out of the ground and see how nicely they come around.

sheshovel
03-27-2005, 12:46 AM
Selective pruning and shearing are two totaly different methods.Which are we talking about here,I'm confused now