PDA

View Full Version : Blow-out?

DTM65
05-14-2000, 11:50 AM
I'm considering making some modifications to my deck to reduce the amount of clippings that blow out from the front/side of the deck and end up covering my legs/top of deck with about 1/2&quot; to 3/4&quot; layer of clipping after mowing around 2 acres.<p>I am using a multching plate and mowing at a height of 4&quot;. I recent switched to 2 blades per spindle and the amount of blow-out seemed to increase. I'm using a Scag STT 61&quot;.<p>I'm considering doing one of three things:<p>1.) Add some kind of heavy rubber flap down from the front of the deck a couple of inches.<p>2.) Decreasing the spacer length between the blades and the spindles by 1&quot;. (Then I would need to set the deck at 3&quot; to mow at 4&quot;.) The result of this would be lowering the skirt of the deck by 1&quot;. May cause airflow problems due to reduced distance from deck to blades?<p>3.) Shud-up and mow.<p>Any constructive thoughts or suggestions.<p>Thanks,<br><p>----------<br>D. Tom<br>

Gus
05-14-2000, 04:58 PM
You don`t want to raise the blades up to high in the deck because your cut quality will suffer. I`ve found that about 3/8 of an inch between the bottom of the blade and the bottom of the deck to be about right. Never had the problem you described with my riders.

Eric ELM
05-14-2000, 08:02 PM
One other option you missed, is take the mulching plate off. That's the main problem. The clippings have to blow out some place.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

gene gls
05-14-2000, 10:18 PM
I had a blow out problem. I had a friend who works at a metal fab shop cut me a steel strip 1/8&quot; thick by the shape of my deck from one caster wheel to the other 3/4&quot; wide and I had it welded flat to the bottom edge of the deck.It creates a shelf and stops most of the blow out. I'm cutting at 3&quot;.