PDA

View Full Version : ?? About Rubber mulch

LAWNPRO2
03-16-2005, 08:45 PM
Hi everyone
I have ? How do they make rubber mulch ? and do any of you know were you can get it in PA. I have a lot of customers asking me for it ant if i sell it.
Any info on this will help
THANK'S :waving:

Guthrie&Co
03-16-2005, 09:28 PM
its shredded tires with alot of chemicals still in it.

impactlandscaping
03-17-2005, 02:27 AM
There are several different companies out there making rubber mulch. Just as any other mulch, it is sold according to varying grades. Be prepared to pay upwards of $ 250-300.00 per yard for it.

crosson lawn
03-17-2005, 06:13 AM
go to www.stopmulching.com and there is a link for dealers listed by state.
the retail is 139/yd i believe and i get it for wholesale (which is up to where u get yours) for 109/yd i charge 60/yd for install cause it covers 170sqft per yd instead of 100/1. hope this helps.

crosson lawn
03-17-2005, 06:15 AM
also if you are putting this down where there is existing wood mulch i would remove the old first mainly cause it looks better and it helps eliminate bugs and ants in the beds. so that would be another charge initially but good for about 6-10 years.

ProMo
03-17-2005, 08:38 AM
one of my customers put that crap in there beds about two yrs ago its sinking and dirt is showing on top of it. it scatters into the yard when it rains or the bed gets edged and doesnt help organically, I would never suggest it unless its for a playground or something.

idugaholez
03-17-2005, 10:56 AM
If your looking for the rubber mulch, or any details on it, I am a distributor of Rubberific Mulch, and would be happy to answer any questions on it. You can email me at Idugahole@athenet.net.

Doug

kerdog
03-17-2005, 12:59 PM
The Georgia Transportation Dept. did a study on the use of rubber mulch, along the hwy. system. They tracked everything from cost of goods, labor, effectiveness, etc. Regular mulch vs. rubber mulch. Pretty interesting.....
Search 'rubber mulch Georgia Transportation study' on your search engine, should get a return. Bottom line, they cited it was too expensive. The rubber mulch didn't give much better results vs. the increased costs.

Once this rubber mulch is installed.....how would one go back into a bed, and 'work it'. Tilling, or replanting, or what-ever? What about the rubber absorbing heat? I'm like Promo Lawn, great on a playground.

Guthrie&Co
03-17-2005, 11:54 PM
i have been told that it has alot of chemicals in it.

tiedeman
03-18-2005, 02:41 AM
I have read a lot of bad things about the mulch. I will look around for the articles

Markf
03-18-2005, 07:23 PM
I looked into it. My own property requires about 310 yards of mulch. I did not choose rubber mulch because of the chemicals, it may cause an odor, and one of the main benefits of organic mulch is the water retention properties and decomposition of the mulch which places nutrients back into the soil.
As suggested, rubber mulch has several grades. Playground mulch, I believe, is the most refined. This means that the wires (steel belts) have all been removed so that the children will not get hurt. However, there may be a grade that could be used on hills and away from the house. I assume that it would not be as refined. (small steel pieces and larger chunks of rubber). Remember to wear gloves when handling.
Mark

SOMM
03-21-2005, 11:54 AM
good thread Lawnpro-
Clients will always ask you about it because they ALL want "low maintenance".

Have you asked your local plantstock nurseries for their take on it?

We haven't used it because our suppliers tell us it will hold in too much summer heat for their plantstock, as well as the chemicals naturally leaching from it into their topsoil. There are flammability issues with rubber mulch the same way resiny/oily mulches like cypress and cedar can be when cig-butts are smoldering away in them. A definite no-no for commercial properties and shopping centers, where cig-butts get slung into the mulch before they'll ever leave it on the lawns as a first choice.

If clients really want to get serious about low maintenance for their beds - they'll either need to get serious about perennial plantings so thick and naturally prolific as to overcome the need to mulch year after year (can be done as a work in progress over the course of several seasons to fit their budgets), or else they'll need to get serious about decorative rock/gravel beds (with the need for courses of steel, aluminum or industrial-poly edging on flatlands or stonewalls to retain the rock/gravel on the hillsides to keep it out of the lawns - it will be the last edging job they'll ever need though!).

Regards