PDA

View Full Version : Too wet to prep for sod installation?

stelon
03-17-2005, 09:10 AM
In Georgia, it's been raining for the last 2 days. The ground is pretty saturated. I have a sod install job lined up for Saturday with soil prep involved. Currently it's drizzling but should be ending by noon today..No rain in forecast tomorrow or Saturday.

The prep will involve removing current lawn with sod cutter, hand tilling and raking smooth. No new soil will be added. Only about 2500 sq ft and the lot is sloped. Will the ground be too wet to properly prep and sod? Difficult question, but I thought I would ask.

Thanks.

NickN
03-17-2005, 09:19 AM
It'll be a bit muddy,but it will actually help the new sod as the ground will already be moist.2500 sq ft should be done in no time.
I'd pass on the tilling though.More times than not,tilling is going to require that you bring in topsoil.I've never tilled an area that didn't end up lower than the surrounding grade.Just cut the sod out,hand rake the area to loosen the soil,and lay your sod.Then lightly roll the sod into the soil.

PMLAWN
03-17-2005, 09:48 AM
What are you going to do with the sod. HEAVY WET sod is a killer to move. You may want to rethink
We are going to stay wet all day today and Fri. Even snow!
I would check the weather close and not make a mess that you are sorry that you started. I did a mulch job yesterday that I wish I had not done.
We are going to re do the grass anyway but we made a mud bath and took 2xs as long to do the work.

Updog
03-17-2005, 09:57 AM
I think you are ok to do it we have 7 pallots to put out friday and plan on doing it. I would think as long as you don't have to get any heavy equipment on other areas you would be fine. Even if it does take longer its better to get work out of the way and move onto whats next.