PDA

View Full Version : Chevy or GM trans question

1MajorTom
03-17-2005, 01:05 PM
700R Transmission with a bad pressure regulator. Can this be repaired with the transmission left in the vehicle by pulling the pan off, or is this something only a tranny shop will be able to fix?

Smalltimer1
03-17-2005, 01:08 PM
I wouldn't touch the transmission myself, thats something I leave to a dealer or someone I know has a good rep with trannies. Are you referring to a vacuum modulator?

The Dude
03-17-2005, 01:13 PM
Honestly I have no idea, however these transmissions are relatively cheap and easy to replace if you do it yourself. How many miles does the tranny have and how many more are you planning to get? Think about how much the repair would cost against replacement costs. You can get a new one for about 1300 bucks. Or you can swap in a TH400 transmission(which is stronger) for under 700 dollars.

Just a thought.

cndhaines
03-17-2005, 04:07 PM
the tranny dosent have to be pulled but the valve body does if u are an experieced mechanic i would do it ,if u are a i can change the oil in my ztr kind of guy leave it to a perfesional it will cause u less headache in the long run. yea those trannys are easy to do it your self if u want to just bite the bullet and replace the whole thing

chris
ase master mech(soon to be lawn monkey)

1MajorTom
03-28-2005, 12:51 AM
Well had to bite the bullet, Matt changed the transmission himself. The estimates he were getting they all were saying between 9 to 15 hundred bucks. So he went and did it himself. Even though we have a backup truck, glad this happened before the season started.

moneyman
03-28-2005, 08:28 AM
Did he replace the part or the whole tranny? How much for the rebuilt trans?
Anyway was it a tough job?

The Dude
03-28-2005, 12:32 PM
Transmission is a very easy job. I swapped mine in my old ford truck in under 4 hours.Transmission jack is invaluable for the job. Just pull the driveshaft, unbolt the linkage, unplug any electrical, and unbolt the bellhousing.

Installation is reverse, just make sure you fully seat the tourque converter, turn it as you push it in. It will seat like a quarter inch to a half inch inside the bellhousing.

ToroLover
03-29-2005, 01:09 AM
Jodi, where was Matt when I needed my transmission replaced in the van? :waving: