PDA

View Full Version : Lawncutting guy needs advise on Landscaping

martyman
03-17-2005, 04:48 PM
I'm not a Landscaping guy as you will see in these pictures...near the end of the summer I laid down 4" of screening and ran the compactor over it, and set in some flag stone. Well the winter is almost over and my walkway is muddy and my yard near the fence (behind fence is road) is alway's full of water. I really think the grade of my back yard was done wrong by the developer and would like some advise on. My yard is very small.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v68/fartinmowler/Picture123.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v68/fartinmowler/Picture122.jpg

What is a good way to get my yard to drain?
What is a good material for a walkway that won't be affected by a crappy drianing yard? (If I can't fix the grade)
Should I hire a landscaper to come in and re-grade it? or try and do it myself...
Should I try to fix the drainage or just backfill it in to level it off?

Thanks for any advise

Marty

Kate Butler
03-17-2005, 10:55 PM
So, if I'm understanding correctly, the edge of your property line (by the fence) is higher than the rest of the yard and water pools and won't drain - yes?? If that's the case it could be a major PITA because of needing to take the fence out long enough to re-grade, then re-set the fence. If the differential is only a couple of inches, you can do it without taking the fence out - but much more than that will make the fence look odd. Also, consideration should be given to the height/grade of the adjacent road: it's not going to do a whole lot of good to regrade your yard if the primary problem is that the roadbed is higher than the adjacent property (effectively making a dam). Just some thoughts: you're the only one who can decide whether you're feeling ambitious enough to tackle this job (with its' potential complications), also keep in mind that it's very hard to 'teach' someone about finish grading (either you have the eye for it, or you don't), plant some creeping thyme between the stones - it'll help with the mud.

motorider000
03-19-2005, 12:31 AM
Maybe a large french drain would work?

martyman
03-19-2005, 10:22 AM
Thankyou Kate and Motor...I think I will have to try and do somekind of drainage...like a french drain idea...I will definetly remove the flag stone and go with brick and a dig deep for the screening this time.