PDA

View Full Version : Got a new toy today

FrankenScagMachines
03-17-2005, 06:23 PM
Not new. And it is filthy actually. But I'm getting it really cheap. Actually I'm mowing part of someone's lawn in trade for it (mowing it most of the summer, its all open no trimming, all flat) They live behind my new shop so just buzz over with the Z in the evening and knock it out real fast.

This is what I got though- John Deere GS30 36" 13hp Kohler Command, Belt drive, fixed deck. Decent little mower. Cuts and stripes pretty good. Came with a 2 wheel trailing sulky, that used to be mine I sold to these people when they first had this mower so now I got it back LOL. I really don't care for a few things about this mower honestly but I'll get used to it and it should last a while and make me some money.

PROCUT1
03-17-2005, 06:25 PM
that'll come in handy for those fenced yards.......

CamLand
03-17-2005, 06:38 PM
Bit of a power wash and your in business...

FrankenScagMachines
03-17-2005, 10:56 PM
Yeah I have a 52" Exmark TTHP, you may recall I fitted a 36" deck under it to use in '04. We used it for small gated backyards and it was great. 17hp V-twin power and hydro maneuverability, floating deck, yeah it was good! But we have more of a need for it with the 52" deck this year than we do with 36" so I found this deal and said hey its worth it to have around. Its a decent machine even if theres a few things I would change, I can live with it fine.
Thanks,
Eric

tiedeman
03-19-2005, 01:52 AM
not bad at all

C.T. Lawn Care
03-19-2005, 09:49 AM
what are the "few changes" you would make?

FrankenScagMachines
03-19-2005, 11:21 AM
Thanks tiedeman

CT- just small piddly stuff.
My ideal one would have a Kawasaki 15-17hp V-twin (this has plenty of power I'm just not a Kohler guy, and too much is about right, so 15-17 Vtwin)
The shifter is kinda backwards. 5th gear is all the way to the left, and reverse all the way to the right.
The neutral lock levers STINK on the pistol grips. The safety operator presence levers are a little more uncomfortable than they have to be. I would take the junky JD deck off and put on a Exmark deck (this one's fine in dry grass but in wet it clumps a lot, yes i've already mowed with it, the grass behind my shop missed the last two to three mowings of the season last year).
The green paint matches none of my other equipment except the Lawn Boy.
The electric PTO is a dislike of mine. I'm a big fan of manual PTO's especially on walk behinds. Walk behinds are supposed to be simple, rugged and made to last a long time with little maintenance. Electric PTO's can be troublesome with the wiring and switches (read: CAN BE), they are usually non-adjustable, and are more likely to not withstand abuse as well...

The other things are items that I think they have already resolved on the newer models. But, in short- I think I would rather just have an Exmark LOL. Nothing against my John Deere, it'll be great for what we will need it for I think, but if I weren't trading services for it and I were buying it straight out, it'd have to be half price of an Exmark for me to get it.