PDA

View Full Version : Couple of pics of the shop

FrankenScagMachines
03-18-2005, 09:40 AM
Here it is. Very messy yet. The two trailers are outside. The riding mower is at the dealership for service, the Exmark w/b still has the snowblower on it and its in the back. 21's and 2 cycles are lined up on the left, snowblower and plow for truck are at the back. The JD 36" is sitting outside. I just shoved everything in here and haven't got organized much yet. When I get done i will be able to back the whole loaded trailer in at night and lock it up, keep it outta weather too :)

FrankenScagMachines
03-18-2005, 09:42 AM

Fine Lines Lawn
03-18-2005, 09:43 AM
Very nice Eric! :)

FrankenScagMachines
03-18-2005, 09:45 AM
Why thank you Bill :) Its a long way from being a FLL shop but we're working on it :)

leadarrows
03-18-2005, 09:51 AM
That's a lot of storage space and all those nice benches and shelf space. Good deal. Enjoy I'M sure your going to love your new home away from home. LOL

FrankenScagMachines
03-18-2005, 10:13 AM
Well actually... the deal is I get this in trade for mowing the lawn it sits on (not quite 3 acres). I only get the half that you see. The shelves I do not get. The 21's are the boundary on the left and the shelves on the back and right I don't get, so its not a ton of room but its enough to keep all of my equipment under a roof and locked up, and has an excellent driveway access and in a good neighborhood, safe and good neighbors and good 'hood :) Plus its a mile away from home so fast and easy to get back and forth.

Lux Lawn
03-18-2005, 10:44 AM
Eric,
looks good once you clean it up you will have more room.

shaughnessylawn
03-18-2005, 06:56 PM
not to be a smart a#@ but what you could make off of cutting 3 acres you could get yard space and put a sea contianer on it dont you think ????

ksland
03-18-2005, 07:55 PM
Thats what I was thinking, 3 acres must be worth $200 a week at least no? Thats $800 a month for half a garage? and no wall usage to boot.

FrankenScagMachines
03-18-2005, 09:18 PM
KS- we ain't in MA no more buddy :( $120 for 3 acres here. Not to mention the fact that most people that live on more than an acre or two cannot afford to hire it mowed so they do it theirself, therefore it is hard to sell your work to homeowners with that much property. Regardless, it is more affordable for me this way. Its not much but its all I got and thats all I can work with right now :( Besides that its getting my foot in the door- the lady would like to move next year and I wouldn't mind buying her place. By occupying the pole barn, I'm definately going to have my foot in the door for that.

MMLawn
03-18-2005, 09:44 PM
So basically she just gave you the middle of some floor space in return for mowing 3 acres and not even enough room to leave your trailers laoded and put them inside, esp as big as that place looked from the outsdie pics you posted. OUCH...no Double OUCH!! She got the best end of that deal by far!

FrankenScagMachines
03-18-2005, 09:58 PM
No you misunderstand- there is room for the big trailer to sit in there loaded, plus stuff on both sides and behind it. the small trailer I don't even use on a regular basis... it gets used but not for mowing purposes, so its never loaded. I can leave it behind the shop and can leave a truck out front.
Yes she's getting a good deal but that building cost her probably close to $10k and its only 6 years old...
anyhow its the best i can afford to do right now. It surely doesn't cost me very much to mow 3 acres, much less than it costs to rent or buy a shop. Plus its only a mile away from my house so a lot of convenience in that. If I had to rent something, I would be throwing my money away and would have to drive a whole lot farther than one mile to get there..... this is a good deal for me right now and its the best I can do so I work with what i got.

bondman35a
03-19-2005, 05:11 PM
3 acres for $120, gas must be 75cents a gallon where you are

tiedeman
03-19-2005, 05:38 PM
not bad, looks good

Looks like you need some more lighting in there though

FrankenScagMachines
03-19-2005, 08:42 PM
bondman, nope... gas (87 octane) and diesel are both at $2.13 a gallon here.
Again its not 3 acres, its a little less. Around 2.7 or so. Its all flat and mostly open.

FrankenScagMachines
03-21-2005, 10:32 AM
trailer loaded and ready to hook up and go :) :cool2:

pic turned out real dark for some reason. its much lighter in there actually.

LonniesLawns
03-21-2005, 10:53 AM
That is nowhere near the deal as it was going to be -- but....

if you have more time thna money right now then its better then having your equipment out in the open

FrankenScagMachines
03-21-2005, 12:40 PM
That is nowhere near the deal as it was going to be -- but....

if you have more time thna money right now then its better then having your equipment out in the open

Exactly! When I first investigated this deal I had hoped I would get the whole building and assumed it was wired up. Its not wired but has skylights that work great. I can run extension cord for power and lights so thats OK. And I only got just less than half, but still it is better than my stuff sitting outside. I also get about this much space again from a neighbor in his barn for $20 a month. But, I can't get the trailer through the gates into the barnyard and snaked around the turns and backed into the barn, so I just put small and seasonal equipment in there (leaf and snow removal, other junk I have). Its storage. This place in the pics is my daily work building. Then I have the 2 car garage at home which will only be used for some repairs where I need big power tools and lots of lighting, or for welding and fabricating, etc. We have a small shed in our backyard but I really don't have anything in there, its mom and dad's territory. Dad keeps his boat in the garage which takes some of the space.

Anyway I have it setup decent in there, with floodlights, drop lights, a workbench where I sharpen my blades, a small air compressor which powers impact wrenches to change blades or repair things, etc. I have plenty of room when I pull the trailer out. The driveway access is awesome. No backin in off the road like I used to have to do. Just pull in and around the horseshoe and backup to or into the shop :)

The yard, my helper and I could mow in 45 minutes for the whole thing including some trimming. The back won't need mowed as often nor trimmed as often in summer especially.

Whether or not some of you like it, the deal is worth it to me and I do have more time than money right now by far. Just a poor kid working to try to earn what I've got and make a way for myself :waving:

Krois Landscaping
03-28-2005, 02:22 PM
So basically you barter out $480 a month for the use of that tiny garage. I don't want to be rude, but i bought a Cover-it garage for around $500 and i put it up right in my back yard. You could get a nice size cover it building for $500 and keep all your mowers and stuff in it and keep it all at your house instead of having your things in 3 different spots. Just food for thought.....

proenterprises
03-28-2005, 06:55 PM
Eric. Hows the weather up where you are? Is the season off to a good start? Keep in touch buddy. !

TOSLC
03-29-2005, 11:09 AM
Eric, I'm with you buddy. I understand where you come from completely! You have to work with what you have, and right now I think your doing pretty well for yourself. I just wonder if some of the rude comments are from older people with kids who only wish their kids had as much ambition as you?

I have a friend of mine that built a shop (20x40) on his parents place and as nice as it seemed at the time when it came time for him to move out he had to leave the shop. He either had to find a place with a shop (he's the one that works on Dodge diesels) or build another one. It's at that point that he realized it wasn't such a good deal . . . well maybe for his parents.

Anyway it took me 7 years of being on my own to build a shop so don't get in a hurry, keep doing what your doing, and good luck!

MacLawnCo
03-29-2005, 06:47 PM
Exmark w/b still has the snowblower on it Eric, id like to see that.

Eric 1
03-29-2005, 08:53 PM
I have been gone awhile, how about a pic of the new truck.