PDA

View Full Version : Shrub removal.. HP or gear needed?

Canadian GreenScape
03-18-2005, 04:50 PM
I advised the client who has the property below to remove the shrubs shown in the photo (Would anyone reccomend hacking them back instead of replacing them?) To remove them what would be the best method? I have a JD4100 but it dosent have enough HP to pull them out. What would work best if I were to rent a piece of equipment?

treedoc1
03-18-2005, 05:12 PM
No good if you "hack" them back. They don't respond well to rejuvenation pruning.
You will find the root system isn't that extensive.

Put on a long sleeve shirt, prune back the branches so you get a clear shot at it and go to town with a pick mattock

mdb landscaping
03-18-2005, 05:46 PM
truck and chain or a bobcat with forks is what id go with.

Masonman
03-18-2005, 06:08 PM
A couple of months ago I was just starting a hardscape job. All I had to excavate with was our Bobcat MT-52 or whatever its called. I was asked to pull out some Junipers, about 8 foot in diameter while I was there. There was about ten of them in a row. I used the old maddax for about 5 minutes at the first ones roots and then wrapped a chain around the base and the other end to the Bobcats bucket About 5 pulls backwards and the baby came out. Same with the other ones except I didnt have to dig at all, just pull-em. I think within a hour they were all out. Worked very nice for getting them out whole with very minimal mess.

dvmcmrhp52
03-18-2005, 07:04 PM
I don't quite remember the HP on a 4100 but I don't think a tractor in low gear would have Too much trouble pulling these out, although I could be wrong without seeing the root sytem.

dvmcmrhp52
03-18-2005, 07:06 PM
Then again, your only around 20 horses?

mcclureandson
03-18-2005, 08:04 PM
No b.s...one amigo with a machete could get what's pictured there to ground level (or better) and piled in under and hour...your cost $8-9

I had a run of calls last year from people wanting to replace junipers that had gotten too big...I tried other methods and was surprised at how quickly it went with one guy on a machete. I think you'll find many of the roots come out quite easily. My .02

steve in Pa.
03-18-2005, 08:11 PM
Juniper has a rather shallow root system. Out of all the shrubs we remove the juniper and cypress seem to be the easiest to come out. If they were yew bushes you would have your hands full!

dvmcmrhp52
03-18-2005, 08:30 PM
Juniper has a rather shallow root system. Out of all the shrubs we remove the juniper and cypress seem to be the easiest to come out. If they were yew bushes you would have your hands full!

Ya, we pulled 4 yews out today...............good HEAVY chain and 4 wheel low..........LOL!

HayBay
03-18-2005, 08:40 PM
from a safety point of view wouldn't a strap be better than chain, you can get some strong stuff.

aries
03-19-2005, 08:38 AM
I use bobcat or truck both work!

impactlandscaping
03-19-2005, 08:49 AM
Whichever way you end up going with the removals, I'd check with the Canadian Utility Board(??), to have them check for utility/power/elec lines in there before you dig.

jreiff
03-20-2005, 07:26 PM
take your tractor and a chain there. Don't cut anything back. Wrap that chain around twice and hook it on to the tractor and pull them right out. By leaving the branches on them, the chain will not slide off as easy. Pull alot of these junipers out like this. Works really good. Sure beats having to go in there with an ax or machete. That is why they machine tractors and skidsteers, to do the grunt work. Use what is available. Rather tug and pull with a tractor than with my own back. Just my opinion.

Houston's
03-21-2005, 12:10 AM
AX around the roots and pull it out with a truck and tow strap..thats how i did it last week.. but in louisiana the roots are not deep. its some what fun :blob3:

sheshovel
03-21-2005, 12:19 PM
They don't look that bad to me.they are a nice burgler barrier.Some selective pruneing of the tops of a few are in order.It won't hurt them and if done right will look just fine.I am wondering why you suggested removal?Are you doing a whole new landscape install?

dvmcmrhp52
03-21-2005, 05:51 PM
from a safety point of view wouldn't a strap be better than chain, you can get some strong stuff.

I'll let you speak to someone whose got a dent in their tailgate from using a strap and having it break loose only to fly into the back of his truck.

A good heavy chain will always be my choice over a strap or rope.