PDA

View Full Version : how many pine bales?

NCgreensmith
03-18-2005, 08:54 PM
Hey all, I'm going to bid a job that requires me to edge a flower bed and mulch it with pine straw. My question is if the area is about 40ft by 35ft and I want to put the pine straw down three inches thick how many bales should I plan on getting? Thanks for the help.

coastallandscapesolutions
03-18-2005, 08:58 PM
Hey all, I'm going to bid a job that requires me to edge a flower bed and mulch it with pine straw. My question is if the area is about 40ft by 35ft and I want to put the pine straw down three inches thick how many bales should I plan on getting? Thanks for the help.

To start with if you want it 3" thick..... to industry standards you will need to fluff it when it goes down and it will be 12" high and look thick but settle down to 3".

The next question; is there already pine straw down and you are just freshing it up or is it from scratch. Makes a dofference.

NCgreensmith
03-18-2005, 09:07 PM
this is from scratch. so what your saying is that I will have to put the pine straw down 12 inches thick at the start? Also this will be more of a "natural" area than a flower bed. I don't know if that makes a difference. Sould I go three inches thick in this case?

Updog
03-19-2005, 04:08 PM
On average pinestraw covers about 80sq' per bale.

coastallandscapesolutions
03-19-2005, 10:29 PM
this is from scratch. so what your saying is that I will have to put the pine straw down 12 inches thick at the start? Also this will be more of a "natural" area than a flower bed. I don't know if that makes a difference. Sould I go three inches thick in this case?

When you put it down to start it is "Fluffed" from pulling the bales apart. As it settles down you want to maintain coverage. When first putting it down it will be lumpy and 10 to 12 inches high. As it settles down over the next three weeks it will settle to about 3 inches.

pdmarathon@verizon.net
06-25-2005, 08:58 AM
Where Can I Buy Pinestraw In Southern Nj?