PDA

View Full Version : Tracks or Floatation?

DRIFT-O-MATIC
03-19-2005, 07:52 AM
I just purchased a used Bobcat 753 loader with standard rubber tires. Since I am using it primarily in Florida sugar sand, it tends to sink into the sand and get stuck. Over-the-tire tracks are very expensive. Are larger floatation tires as good a solution to my problem? How big can you get them?

coastallandscapesolutions
03-19-2005, 08:30 AM
I just purchased a used Bobcat 753 loader with standard rubber tires. Since I am using it primarily in Florida sugar sand, it tends to sink into the sand and get stuck. Over-the-tire tracks are very expensive. Are larger floatation tires as good a solution to my problem? How big can you get them?

I just picked up a 773 and have the same problem. I ordered a set of cheveron tires for it with wheels ($1389.00) and it fixed the problem. No more sinking in the sand or mud.

TerraFirma Excavating
03-19-2005, 12:47 PM
Costal Greenscapes
What brand and size of chevron tires did you buy?

Tigerotor77W
03-19-2005, 04:26 PM
Drift, you might not be able to move up too large on tires on a 753 platform. There isn't enough room around the tires themselves or the tires and the frame to help you tremendously. Wider tires *might* be an option, but if you really need more flotation in such a small package, you might want to take a look at the ASV RC30 or RC50, Cat 247B, or Bobcat T140.

(Although I don't doubt Costal's claim, you may have a harder time finding the right tires for a 753.)

coastallandscapesolutions
03-19-2005, 10:31 PM
Costal Greenscapes
What brand and size of chevron tires did you buy?

I'll have to look Monday. The tires and wheels came from ProTire. They are slightly larger the Bobcats own truf tire. I saw them on a A180 when someone was doing concrete work and I ask them where he got them. I also have the number I will post on Monday. They work great!

DRIFT-O-MATIC
03-19-2005, 11:41 PM
I can't afford to get a different piece of equipment. I plan on using it to facilitate building my home in Tarpon Springs, Florida. Once I compete my project (which may take a year or more), I plan to sell the loader (or, who knows, maybe Iíll love it so much that Iíll want to keep it and try to make a living with it). I've been practicing with it, and am finding that it wants to get stuck in this darn sugar sand. I know, once I get started on construction, I'm going to have problems getting stuck. I've been reading some of the posts on this way cool board, and have gotten some good ideas. However, I'm still undecided as to which way to go...tracks (so expensive!), or floatation tires (not as expensive as tracks...but will they be as affective?). I hate to go the cheaper route, and have it still not work as good as a set of tracks would. What a dilemma.

Then, I had an idea. Is there a way that an extra wheel and tire can be mounted in tandem with the existing ones? This would give me a lot more surface area for traction than buying large floatation tires and rims and spacers, etc. I would then also have a set of spares, when I go back to the standard configuration. I donít know. Iím new to this heavy equipment world, so this may be a really stupid idea.

Anyway, Iíd appreciate yíallís input on the matter.

DRIFT-O-MATIC
03-20-2005, 12:38 AM
I'm afraid I may have used the wrong terminology for the mounting of an extra tire/wheel. Instead of "tandem", I believe it may be correctly called "in line" mounted. Please, excuse this newbie.

TerraFirma Excavating
03-20-2005, 08:58 AM
I believe you are trying to describe making a "Dually". If this is what you are asking, I think it would be too expensive and cause other problems. You'd have to purchase 4 other wheels and tires (~$1,000) and some type of spacer system (price not know, guess ($1,5000 - $2,000). Then you would have dual tires front and rear.

Now the tires would be sticking out past the width of your bucket and you'd have to buy a wider bucket. It would have to be nearly 2' wider than your current bucket (10" or 12" tire added to EACH side of the loader). I doubt your machine would be able to utilize a bucket this wide without overloading the machine.

A set of floatation tires, wider wheels, and wheel spacers would probably cost you about $1,400. Much cheaper and sounds like it is workind for CoastalLandscapes. This shouldn't make your machine too wide where you'd have to purchase a wider bucket.

CoastalLandscapes, did you have to use wheel spacers?

ksss
03-21-2005, 03:38 PM
You don't have any inexpensive options. Wider tires, new rims and probably a wider bucket will get expensive. Over the tire steel tracks (used) maybe your best bet. Remember that your machine will be worth more when you sell it allowing you to recoup some of your expense on upgrades. Also remember bigger tires or tracks and a bigger bucket will tax your 753. If you don't want to spend the money to make it work for you, maybe you'd be better off selling it and hiring the work done.