PDA

View Full Version : Best time for weed and feed

JasonPC
05-14-2000, 10:32 AM
Hi, all. I posted this on the pesticide forum, but only got one response. I was hoping i could get some more opinions. I thank you very much ahead of time.<p>I applied my fert w/dithiopyr the week of April 5th. I was thinking I should apply the weed n feed May 20th which would make it 6 weeks between apps. Does this sound right? I live in Massachusetts. The dandelions are all over the place! and the weeds are popping up like crazy.<p>Also, Lesco tells me that their granular weed and feed is great and will work just as well as liquid. I'm a newly certified pesticide applicator and this is my first season doing this fertilization program. Do you more experienced guys have any suggestions? Lesco wants to sell me a product that has 2,4 D, dicamba, and one other chemical in it. What do you think? Will it get rid of all of these dandelions and other weeds??!<p>Thanks ahead of time...<p>Nicole <br> <br>

MOW ED
05-14-2000, 06:12 PM
I saw your post in the pesticide forum and saw Lazers reply. He knows his stuff. I am in the same boat as you are and I have researched this topic a little. If you have the capability and the time I would definately recommend using a backpack sprayer and a Trimec blend for the dandelions. I am going to apply a granular fert that is blended short on fert for my #2 of 5 ap on a commercial and 1 residential that is swamped but does not have any perennials. 2-4-D is a nasty on the gardens at this time of year and my customers don't have any of these on or near their lawns. I advise you to check up on the type of trimec that you spray as you don't want drift or granuals to get to the &quot;nice weeds&quot; (perennials or veg gardens)dont use an ester. Heed Lazers advice if you can, I've been on this forum for a while and he is a good resource. <br>If you do decide to use granuals be careful. Good Luck.

Eric ELM
05-14-2000, 07:00 PM
Nicole: Lesco Weed n Feed is very dusty - small granuals, so do use it on a calm day when the grass has very heavy dew. As others mentioned, Lazer gave you advice on the other forum and he does know his stuff. I feel that spraying is best, because it's hard to find the perfect conditions for Weed n Feed. Grass wet, no wind, it can't rain for 24 to 48 hours. That's a narrow window to hit. <br><p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>