PDA

View Full Version : Dimesion vs. Pendimethalin

lawnyogi
03-20-2005, 07:12 AM
I am wondering about the pros and con; comparison and contrast; ying and yang; but more specifically ... which is better as a spring app?

Thank you.

clifton

spray guy
03-20-2005, 08:24 AM
Read the label of course first. Considering cost per acre, Pendimethalin will be less per acre. As crabgrass starts to germinate and you are still offering a pre emergent in your program you will need to switch over to dimension since pend does not have any post emergent activity. Where I service lawns in Dallas - Ft. Worth in bermuda turf we can tank mix msma with our pendimethalin and keep crabgrass from being a problem even after it germinates. Of course on another matter would be the overspray with pend getting on objects such as ornamental lawn furniture, etc. would be highly undesirable which can cause unwanted service issues. The aqua cap pend has helped to a degree but you still need to be much more careful when useing any formulation of pend.

lawnyogi
03-20-2005, 08:38 AM
Thanks alot... I am only using granuals, so I do not think overspray will be as big a problem, but there is the post emergent issues where Dim will be better... I guess.

lawn king
03-20-2005, 09:03 AM
pre-m works well in the northeast but it's a nasty product to work with. This will be our 3rd season with demension and we are very happy with it! No ammount of savings would get us back on pre-m, the staining factor is misery!

teeca
03-20-2005, 06:41 PM
i like the dimension, has longer residule, and also acts as an early post-emergent for crabgrass. oh, and i use granular. some lawns i will apply the dimension at a lower rate (granular) then mix dimension in my tank w/ weed control for r2. just need to make sure you keep track of the lawns you do like this, you do not want to go over the max amount per year application rate. i have used the pendulum, just hate the smell! liquid or granular!! and no post-emergent action.

LonniesLawns
03-20-2005, 07:07 PM
Pendi is also a terrible root pruner -- dimension is much less. Barricade is even better -- Ronstar is the best.

LawnTamer
03-21-2005, 10:29 AM
I've used pendi, dimension and Barricade. I like the Barricade best hands down. Pendi stains everything it touches and smells bad, it does work OK, dimension is great for low odor and not staining but it doesn't get the job done, the 2 years I have used it it broke down in July and Aug. Barricade works great, doesn't stain and at the rate we apply it we get 6+ months of control. Most of our lawns are around 5,000 sq ft so the extra expense per lawn from using Barricade isn't that much but the Happy customer factor as well as the time/herbicide savings later in the year make it worth the extra $$$