PDA

View Full Version : Calculation of area.

1BadHawk
03-20-2005, 12:30 PM
If you have a mulch bed that is a strange shape, can you use a waking wheel to measer the perimeter then convert that to a rectangular shape to figure the area?

For example, your perimeter of this odd shape bed is say, 58 feet. If you have a rectangle 1' x 28' (which has the same 58' perimiter) that would give you a quick area calculation.

Is this right or am I experience a brain malfunction?

Reason being, I figure if this holds true, then you can take a total walking measurement of all beds to create a single rectangle for easy calculation of total sq footage.

say;
5 beds 14' perimeters ea. = 70
12 trees 4' perimeters ea. = 48
118 total, = 58 sq ft total

This can easily be done in your head by taking the total perimiter measurement, substract 2, then divide the remainder by 2 for your total sq footage.

I knew I shouldnt have skipped so many algebra classes in high school. :rolleyes:

wally world III
03-20-2005, 04:00 PM
www.atstecks.com
then, supply
then, mulch
put in width ---- length
diameter of circle
then, thickness ie: 2" --- 3" --- 4"

1BadHawk
03-20-2005, 05:27 PM
Been there, done that. But in the field I dont have access to that web site, So I was trying to think of how I can come up with an accurate estimate. Got to thinking about the the math and thought you could work it out like I described?

Smitty58
03-20-2005, 05:46 PM
I think you are over thinking this. If it's an odd shape ,so what. Just measure the length and take an avg width. What I do is this, lets say a bed is 40 ft long but it's width is anywhere from 4-8 ft. I just do 40 x 6 =240 divided by 150 for a 2 inch coverage and thats it. Most homes today do not have perfectly rectangle beds ,so I don't try to be "exact".