PDA

View Full Version : O.K. I admit it.

osc
05-13-2000, 10:04 PM
You see the thing is, we don't even load up anything smaller than a 61&quot; on the trailors. some of our stops are residentials and a few of them have small front yards. I look for non-undulating yards so we won't scalp but I'm sure some of you would think it's simply uncoothe to have 61&quot; stripes in a 20'x 20' yard. But, none of my customers complain. We just can't take up trailor space with a 48 or even a 52&quot; when most of what we do is large. <br>Gives me an idea for a bumper sticker, &quot; Pro lawn cutters do it with bigger decks&quot;.<br>Do you guys get any flack over the size of your equipment?

Matt
05-13-2000, 10:12 PM
I use a small mower on all lawns! lol I only have a 22 and thats it. you can by me a 48! U know what ill even settle for a 36. Just cut the quickest you can and that involves using the 61 then cool

geogunn
05-14-2000, 12:56 AM
I once had a little old lady that hated my big 48 in her little yard. HATED IT!<p>she fired me then called me in october to ask if I &quot;wanted to come pick up her leaves&quot;.<p>I politely thanked her and told her that I only picked up leaves &quot;for my customers&quot;.<p>YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!<p>GEO

HOMER
05-14-2000, 06:10 AM
I use my 72&quot; in front and back yards! If the deck fits I wear it...............haven't had a complaint yet.<p>Homer

Gus
05-14-2000, 07:32 AM
I don`t see a problem!! If the 21 incher has to come off the trailer they better open up their wallets....

Charles
05-14-2000, 08:50 AM
I use the 60&quot;er on everything. Time is money. No complaints and they could KMA if they did. All my customers love the exmark lazer

1stclasslawns
05-14-2000, 08:55 AM
I like big decks in small yards.<p>I have one that is 4 passes in front 2 down the sides and back. 4 min to mow, fence down 2 sides so 6 min to trim! Takes longer to unload and load then to mow, but I have 2 more lawns on the same block.

garbage man
05-14-2000, 09:29 AM
O.K. you guys are in big business,, I only have a 21&quot; and a 22&quot; mower(Murry and MTD). I would like to own a larger walk-behind. I usually only do small reidential lawns but I have just gotten a larger account, (not residential) it will be a weekly job that requires a lot of trim work around a swimming pool and a few picnic sheds and tables. <br>There are some graduated grades but a good walk-behind would do the job. The guy that was doing it for the county (previously a county operation) said that a rider (his was a Lowe's 42&quot; Yardmachine) is necessary but after owning 4 of the regular dept. store variety(Craftsman and Lowe's)(sold the last one 5 years ago) , I am not pleased with the results of a rider. So I am opting for a larger (36&quot; to 48&quot;) walk-behind. What does anyone suggest.<br>This will be a 10,000+ sq ft mow with lots of narrow (48&quot;+/-) strips and only one large, (aprox. 7,000 sq ft) 30% grade area.<br>I hope you don't look down on me for being a two man opperation (Father and Son).<br>I want to make the job look as good as if it were my own lawn. I work on pride of my finished work not on cut and run, I try to be as proffesional as possible so don't think of me as a scrub. Thanks for any input.<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: garbage man

accuratelawn
05-14-2000, 10:01 AM
Buy a good 48 belt drive. Keep the push mowers for tight spots and trim work.<br>I bought a new 48 belt with 12.5 Kaw for $1,700. It works fine for the areas the 60 will not fit.

1stclasslawns
05-14-2000, 10:02 AM
Garbageman, Though I dont own one it sounds like a 48&quot; walkbehind is just the ticket for you. I've demoed them but Id rather ride then walk. IMHO haha <br>I just got the big equipment myself a little over a month ago. Get the accounts and grow with your bussiness. <br>Good Luck! Jim

MOW ED
05-14-2000, 06:19 PM
Garbageman, <br>There are lots of opinions out there and this is mine. Go thru your phone book and look up the dealers of a few mowers on your wish list. I would stick to hydro but thats a different arguement. Find the biggest deck that will fit on your smallest property and ask the dealer to demo the unit for a mowing cycle. You are the one putting out the cash and walking or riding on it. You find out what it can do for you. If a 60+ fits use it if you are happy and the customer is too. Good Luck.