PDA

View Full Version : price per foot w/bed edger

bobbygedd
03-20-2005, 04:52 PM
this year i'll be using a bed shaper/edger for my edging. from what mac told me, as fast as you can walk, you can edge. i forgot to ask him, how much to charge. so, how do you price this service?

Mark McC
03-20-2005, 05:12 PM
At the risk of sounding like a smartazz, what will the traffic bear?

I recall reading someone's per-foot rate for bed edging, but have no clue where I saw that anymore. Incidentally, how much did you cough up for that bed edger?

Mark McC
03-20-2005, 05:17 PM
Bobby, what (else) in God's name is the matter with you? I conducted one, yes one, search using "bed edging" as the search terms. Take a look.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=84736&highlight=bed+edging

How do you manage to get to bed in one piece at the end of the day?

olderthandirt
03-20-2005, 05:18 PM
Bob, Just to clarify the bed edging is as fast as you can walk with a redefining blade. If its a new bed it will be a little slower becouse you will be cuting out a lot more. Price depends on region but $1.00 per ft for redefining an edge upto $1.50 for a new edge. With a min. charge of course payup

bobbygedd
03-20-2005, 05:30 PM
most of my edging is a simple "re-define". any new bed creations are charged high enough so i don't care about using the machine. my first experience with the bed edger will be a rental @ $75 per day. i don't anticipate more than a 2 day rental if i can work it that fast

jpp
03-20-2005, 05:38 PM
At the risk of being slammed here, if it is a redefine job then why not just use the ole shovel method. Charge an hourly rate and go from there. I have never used the bed shaper but have thought about it before. It seems to me that if you are unsure of using the bedshaper it would slow you down more than using the shovel. Is my thinking wrong here?

JP

Mark McC
03-20-2005, 05:44 PM
At the risk of being slammed here, if it is a redefine job then why not just use the ole shovel method. Charge an hourly rate and go from there. I have never used the bed shaper but have thought about it before. It seems to me that if you are unsure of using the bedshaper it would slow you down more than using the shovel. Is my thinking wrong here?

JP

I'm kinda with you on this, kinda not.

If it was me and I had a big job, I might as well hire out some mechanical muscle. Plus, sooner or later, I have to get some experience with the equipment to see what it does well and what it doesn't do especially well. That's the best way I can see to decide what sort of volume I would need to justify the expense of buying one AND whether this is a service I want to market aggressively.

bobbygedd
03-20-2005, 05:48 PM
well, i am very succesful this year so far at selling bed edging in the maint packages. i am concentrating on selling true "full service" packages. and bed edging is a great add on service

WildLake
03-20-2005, 05:56 PM
I don't know about a price, but remember to consider the fact that there is still time consuming hand work. A lot of hand work when cutting a brand new egde. You can't get a really great edge just using the edger, though around here guys run the machine and call it an edge, but usually looks half ass to me.

jpp
03-20-2005, 05:56 PM
Mark,

I am with you on the experience issue. The only way to get better or get some time on it is to use it. I think I would rent one and try it at my own home first just so I don't really screw up the customers property.

Bobby,

Sounds like you would need it if you are selling them as part of the full service program. Good luck with it and let us know how it goes for you.

JP

JKOOPERS
03-20-2005, 06:09 PM
i did 102 homes and about 250 trees in 1.5 days with me and 2 others . i cut about 11 cables. i post some pics tomorrow when i finish the last 12 homes .

bobbygedd
03-20-2005, 06:11 PM
you cut 11 cables? city codes here are 18" . if they aint up to code, i will not be responsible for repairs. do u repair?

WildLake
03-20-2005, 06:13 PM
I believe that is code here but we still hit cable tv all the time. We don't repair. I have the customer call the cable company.

JKOOPERS
03-20-2005, 06:31 PM
there is no code here . some i fix it all depends on how pissed off the costumer is. most of the time i just call the cable co and they come and fix them for free .

JKOOPERS
03-20-2005, 07:26 PM
heres some bed edging i did with a Browns Manufacturing Bed Edger

GreenMonster
03-20-2005, 07:46 PM
I am with you on the experience issue. The only way to get better or get some time on it is to use it. I think I would rent one and try it at my own home first just so I don't really screw up the customers property.

jpp,

there is nothing to the Ez-Trencher Bed shaper. drop the blade, walk backwards and cut an edge just as fast. It is really and truely that simple.

jpp
03-20-2005, 07:53 PM
jpp,

there is nothing to the Ez-Trencher Bed shaper. drop the blade, walk backwards and cut an edge just as fast. It is really and truely that simple.

Thanks for the tip on the Ez-trencher. I will look into it. On walking backwards is that easier than the ones that go forward?

WildLake
03-20-2005, 07:55 PM
Edger make help to make the edge flow and look clean but I just think that if you don't chip away some soil on the inside of the edge, it ends up being too steap and doesn't flow or look good once the mulch is installed.

I __________________
I __--
I __--
I__--

Gilla Gorilla
03-20-2005, 07:59 PM
The only hand labor that you have to do after using the bed edger is raking or spreading the pulverized dirt into the bed to smooth it out. It sure as hell beats having to remove a ton of cut edging when you do it with a spade or shovel.

Mine came with a 3" bit and I have shread through three cable and one phone lines last season just because they were put rite below the sod line.

I am getting ready to purchase the 5" edging bit for getting a really nice deep edge when needed, plus you dont have to worry about the mulch running down and filling up the edge if you only use the 3" redifining bit. My Brown Bed Edger was one of the best purchases that I made last year in my first year out. I brought in about $1100 with it last year and paid $1995.00 for it. The way I figure it I got $1100 in sales off of it, I did not have to pay the rental fees for it and waste gas to go pick it up and drop it off on someone elses schedule and avoided alot of disposal fees associated with using a spade or straight shovel. Just touch up the new or redefined edge with a stick edger to get the stragler grass blades and it looks like a million dollars.

Bobby you know what you say about using a stick edger versus using a string trimmer.
I think its the same thing using a actually bed edger versus using a shovel and disposal time.

Check out this other thread and you can see a couple pictures I took at a job last year. Sorry but they are not the best pictures but they do get the point across.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=88813&highlight=bed+edger

WildLake
03-20-2005, 08:11 PM
Ive been using the brown with a 5" blade for 5 seasons and I love it(sucks replacing the blade each year). For touching up existing beds there isn't too much work if there was already a decent edge. If there isn't a decent edge, or the beds are really mounded, you will need to do hand work in order to get one of those "eye catching" edges that really look great and stand out, PERIOD. I am just trying to make everyone aware of this in the event that they dont have experience with edgers so that they can price accordingly.

Also, more often that not, when machine edging trees, you will end up with a huge mound of dirt that needs to be removed(unless you want the mulch to wash into the edge after the first heavy rain). Take that into consideration aswell.

Gilla Gorilla
03-20-2005, 08:34 PM
Wildlake I totally forgot about the amount of dirt when edging around trees, you are correct there.

The only other down side to the brown bed edger is that if you are wheeling it through a yard with thick or tall grass the blade seems to catch and wants to push the front of the machine upwards. I guess it is easiest when going up slight or larger hills to pull it backwards.

WildLake
03-20-2005, 08:37 PM
I usually end up shutting off the machine and spinning the blade up toward the back if I have to move it far. Then I hold the blade engaged and it doesn't drag.

GreenMonster
03-20-2005, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the tip on the Ez-trencher. I will look into it. On walking backwards is that easier than the ones that go forward?

I don't know. The ez trencher is the only one I've ever used.

But, I'm looking into the brown this year too, as you can change the blales types, providing for a little more flexibility.

Drew Gemma
03-20-2005, 08:56 PM
I have the easy trencher for new beds I make two passes then rake it in the bed to create the right slope and haul out the excess. On redifine I rake back any mulch cause it flies everywhere then just barely take any away from exixiting edge. Have helper follow and scoup up debir and dirt. Then rake mulch back over then put new mulch down. $25 stop fee. 1.00 ft. edged plus any labor and disposal fees. I am pretty high for my area but if I am not I'll be so busy thats all I will get done all summer is edging and mulching but I hate mulching. In my area I am fairly priced on everything but I charge a lot to mulch and edge cause I just hate doing it. Did I mention I hate mulching! I love leaves! That means drinking season is right around the corner.

GreenMonster
03-20-2005, 08:58 PM
Drew, when you say two passes, do you mean two adjacent passes, into the bed? The end result being a not as steep cut?

Scraper
03-20-2005, 08:58 PM
Charge per linear foot? LOL It's included in the installation price of $90/yard.

WildLake
03-20-2005, 09:06 PM
I used the ez trencher for a while and I like it equally. Its easier to maneuver around than the brown and you can adjust the height in seconds on the fly(great for when you hit a huge root or or rock, just raise the blade then lower it). I believe there are optional blades for the ez trencher as well.

monsteryards
03-21-2005, 10:40 PM
edgeing $3 a minute the cheapest

monsteryards
03-21-2005, 10:42 PM
10-20 how long u been land :cool2: scaper

WildLake
03-21-2005, 10:56 PM
10-20 how long u been land :cool2: scaper
10-20? 7 or 8 years. I worked for a Landscape company in high school, then started my own.

Drew Gemma
03-21-2005, 11:45 PM
Green monster on new beds I mark a line out get customer approval then I make one cut about 3inches inside that line then I make another right on the line. That way the edge is not so steep. It is definetly worth it keeps mulch on edges not in turf.

GreenMonster
03-23-2005, 10:24 PM
thanks drew, that's what I thought.