Thread: My broken belt
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2005, 04:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator610
I have a 2000 Scag Turf Tiger. Three weeks ago, the belt that runs the hydro pump's broke. Because my dealer is not open on Saturday I got a replacement belt from N.A.P.A., manufactured by Gates. I installed it and it was working well for about three week and it broke. My question is; will a belt that I would buy from an auto part dealer be the correct type to work in the mowing environment? Or do I need to get the factory replacement belt for reliability? Or could I be having a bigger problem with my hydro pumps?
Yes a belt from NAPA is fine BUT you need to tell them that it is going on a lawn-mower so they can give you an Agricultural belt instead of an automotive one. Ag belts have reinforced threads and are a lot stronger because automotive belts as a rule, once on - always on, where with ag belts they are designed to be engaged and disengaged (which auto belts do NOT do) and thus ag belts put up with a LOT more abuse.

Napa is a lot cheaper than the dealer - My transmission belt is 20 bucks from the dealer, 12 bucks from Napa but again - It is an ag. belt. The way I learned is the same way I just outlined: I put an automotive belt on the mower the first time because I failed to inform them it was going on a mower, and it broke within 30 days, hehehe...

If you DID get an ag belt and it broke, then I dunno...

Page generated in 0.04438 seconds with 7 queries