Thread: michigan CDL
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2006, 08:45 PM
janb janb is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Washougal, WA
Posts: 254
If your towing unit GVWR is under 12,000#, and your trailer is tagged at 14,000# you don't need a CDL, but...only if you NEVER exceed GCVW of 26,001# (including cargo + vehicles + dirt clods)

If total combined GVWR is over 26001# you need a CDL
if trailer GVWR tag is over 10,000# AND GCVW is over 26,001# you need a class A cdl
The Federal standard requires States to issue a CDL to drivers according to the following license classifications:

Class A -- Any combination of vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Class B -- Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.

Class C -- Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is placarded for hazardous materials.

full CDL discussion over on Heavy Equip forum
""A painful added expense... (Multi-page thread 1 2 3)""
"Defensible Space" - Brushcutting, stumpgrinding and grading
Reply With Quote
Page generated in 0.03848 seconds with 8 queries