Thread: I need help
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2006, 06:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sorry, but I've said it before. Sometimes, I think this site just works as a catalyst that encourages people to just go out and start dumping chemicals. When it is talked about even more, or sensationalized, it just brings it on even farther. I feel there are more and more people who see the stuff on sites like this, and because they see as many people concentrated on one site doing it, they think "well if all these people can do it, I can too". I am seeing more and more individuals coming on just ready to "have at it" with the spraying, and some of the questions asked are just SO abstract. (and I mean no offense to you, RSK2) Sure, many of them cover by saying "This is for my own lawn", but we know darn well that isn't the case in most of these. In many ways, it is a double edged sword. On one side, you want to help these people, because you don't want them out doing things so far improperly, that it can be harmful to people and/or the environment. On the other side, you know if even more info is given out, it all adds to it in the aspect of more and more people trying to jump on some sort of "bandwagon" that they think it is.
The fact of the matter is, is that while we can give out more and more information to this individuals question here, or that individuals question there, they are STILL not getting the whole view on exactly what all is entailed when it comes to the safe handling and use of pesticides. That is why they have whole programs compiled for training and education for certifications to be handling and using these chemicals. Furthermore, it is not just the education and training in the safe handling and use that is the majority of it. It is the knowledge of knowing WHAT works under WHAT conditions and during WHAT times. Proper identification and cultural knowledge plays such a HUGE part of it. That is why in so many states, it is not just a matter of getting a certification, but years of experience are required for actual licensing. This industry is getting harder and harder (more stringent laws and ordinances) and is getting more and more limitations. This is all fueled by the conservative side who are not wanting more pesticides dumped into our environment - when the real damage is occurring from abuse.
Well, any and everytime I answer to (or see an answer) to these types of cases, I know it is a contribution to a longer term effect on the industry as a whole. Now don't get me wrong...I love helping people, but it reaches a point where I feel it is a contribution to our own demise to an industry as a whole. I am getting more and more convinced that this site should do as some of the others have done in the past and keep the licensed technical discussion BETWEEN the licensed people, and have this forum set up for licensed users only. It wouldn't be that hard to do, because contrary to what some have said, there are NOT that many active users on the pesticide forum. There are a handful of us regulars. It would be simple for those of us serious enough about our business (most of us) that we could email our cert. and/or licensing information. In the meantime, like I say, it is just hard for me to answer some of these inquiries and do it in good conscience.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.

Last edited by Runner; 04-01-2006 at 06:21 AM.

Page generated in 0.04415 seconds with 7 queries