Thread: TREE ROOTS
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2000, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Steve is right. I should have preceded previous message with that idea. Don't ever try to solve a plant problem without a positive ID of the plant, and of the problem.<p>Wet site species like silver maple, weeping willow, river birch, cottonwood, and others will easily surface root, because they are adapted to wet soils and have shallow root systems. However, I have seen many of these used in the landscape without surface rooting. I have seen oaks with surface roots in heavy, wet soil (rare). When I talk about surface roots, I'm assuming roots that you would trip on, or cannot easily mow over.<p>It is correct that initial selection and planting is the most critical factor in all aspects of the landscape. Really awful that most landscape design today is with idea of what is highest profit plant, or what has to be pushed out of the inventory. (This statement is not directed at anyone, just my observations in our area.) A successful landscape is basically 99% cultural practices, and the most important cultural practice is to put the right plant in the right place.<p>So smitty, let me add these thoughts:<br>-If there is excess irrigation in this area, educate the client about proper irrigation.<br>-If there are not too many large roots, you can remove one root each year during the winter without major stress on the tree. (Get guidance from an arborist)<br>-If you have a problem with any plant anyplace, remember that sometimes the best cultural practice is to remove the plant and replace it with one that will function better at this site.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana<br>

Page generated in 0.04258 seconds with 7 queries