View Single Post
Old 09-22-2006, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpjumper
One thing to consider is that your efficiency may improve after a couple of cuts. I have a couple I thought I had under bid, trimmed a few limbs, picked up a few things and talked to the customer about keeping it that way. The result was almost a 30% decrease in mowing time. Kept the account for the year so the time was well spent.
You know that brings up an excellent point as well, it has been some time since I practiced what you preach, but underbidding forces you to become leaner and meaner, and if you can figure out how to still make a profit at the new low price, you got yourself an edge that is hard to beat.

Far as dull blades, that really don't bother me but so much...
Way I look at it: Let them get dull, sharp ones go on every day, and this is the reason why.

Try and remember the trouble spots and feel free to throw or move certain rocks out of the way (if feasible). Trust me, I got a few yards worthy of mountaingoats lol, it takes 2-3 cuts until I'm used to it, then all of a sudden like was quoted, it becomes peachy and I'm making out decent.

p.s.: I have been known to schedule the tougher yards later in the day and my class-A lawns early on, but still sharp blades daily and don't do the scheduling trick too much, let everyone get sharp blades first cut I always say.
p.s.s.: A light-weight fixed deck Wb really makes a difference when you're constantly having to lift the deck, as does having two mowers (an older and a newer one heheh).

Last edited by topsites; 09-22-2006 at 11:05 PM.

Page generated in 0.04165 seconds with 7 queries