View Single Post
Old 01-09-2007, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WALKER LANDSCAPE View Post
Looks good to me. Does making a web page take alot of computer coding or something. Can anyone figure it out. Might be a stupid question, but there you go.
Depends on what you do. Some programs like Macromedia have a pretty steep learning curve.
Others are more simple, many hosts offer free site building software but look for a free trial to see if it works for you. Some programs don't let you edit the code tags needed to help with search engines, others do. Some are pretty limited, some kind-of hard to use, etc.
There is a lot of "stuff" out there, Macromedia is now part of Adobe so you can use the full studio mentioned above or just Dreamweaver (the web site part) or Adobe GoLive or for starters just to get your feet wet; there is a free download of FrontPage (the soon to be replaced Microsoft software) somewhere on Microsoft's web site (so I've been told)
...however I urge people to beware of the new Microsoft web software ("Expressions"...available as trials that expire next month) because unlike FrontPage they will require you to have a Windows Server host which limits your hosting choices by at least 2/3 or more.
To really learn coding there is also a popular program called Homesite which is a "beginner" web site building program for learning coding as you go.
Just some ideas...none is really "best"... it's whatever works best for you.

I also encourage people to consider what their time is worth and if they really want to learn site building when making a decision. If you can have a nice site with good search results built for $300 consider if you could be "working" doing what you do and the amount of time it takes you to make $300 vs. the time you spend making a web site. (Unless you are snowed in with nothing but time)

Like I have had many people ask why I don't work on my own vehicles over the years. It's because I am no mechanic and in the time it would take me to figure out how to do anything more than changing an air cleaner or whatever and maybe have to buy some special tools...I can be doing the work I know and make enough to pay the mechanic to do what he knows

Page generated in 0.04983 seconds with 7 queries