View Single Post
Old 03-15-2007, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My F-450 is so wide that you cannot see the sides of the trailer when pulling it. The rear view mirror can only see straight back the middle of the trailer because of the cab protector on the truck's dump body. This means my trimmer racks are NOT visible by the driver while driving. Well here's the story:

A rough, dirt road was causing the truck/trailer to bounce all over the place. The long pins which held the locking arms in place must have bounced out because the locking arms had swung open on both sides of the trimmer rack. This left my two, new, Stihl trimmers vulnerable to airborne travel if I hit a large enough bump. Well at the time I didn't know any of this was happening and just kept driving to the next job site. Once I got off of the dirt road and onto the main road I noticed people slowing down as they drove by me. I thought it was probably because "Hey they're driving past a big truck pulling a trailer." Ha, I was wrong there.

After seeing enough cars slowing down, and even hearing some cars honk at me and point, I really started checking my mirrors hard. My tires looked good, everything on the trailer looked secure, trailer gates were secure, gas cap was on.... what was going on!?!?!?!

Finally, after 10 minutes+ driving, another LCO comes passing by, rolls down the window and tells me my trimmers are all over the road.

Turns out the spool end of the trimmers were light enough to bounce out of the trimmer rack and had been fishtailing down the road on the side of the trailer while the engine end of the trimmers were still sitting in the trailer rack. The spool ends were a little scuffed up.. but otherwise no harm done. Just a scary situation which COULD have led to something bad.. property damage, bodily damage.. or could have just destroyed $600 worth of trimmers.
I haven't replaced the trimmer racks yet, just found a better way to secured the locking arm. However, I'm buying a new trailer in a couple weeks and could really use some racks for it!!

Zach

Page generated in 0.04702 seconds with 7 queries