View Single Post
Old 03-16-2007, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I started mowing lawns when I was about 12 years old using my grandfather's riding Craftsman mower and I didn't even string trim at the time. I literally used hand clippers and just did the essentials. I have learned a lot of lessons in this business the hard way.

I work a so-called "real" job in high school and then when I went to college, I got another "real" job at a local bank. The whole time, I maintained my mowing route. (By this time i had a weed whacker!) I spent 4 years getting my degree in Business Management/Marketing so I could move up in Corporate America. Trouble is I hated Corporate America. I left banking and tried becoming an insurance salesman. What a joke that was. Well, anyway, after going flat broke and in the hole, I quite my job selling insurance and finally made the decision that I was going to do what I love: Mow lawns! I've been told how stupid I am. That I have a college degree and should use my head and not my back. I disagree completely. Running your own business takes many skills and my business degree only helps with that.

So, this past year, I started expanding my mowing business and accidently stumbled across LAWNSITE!! What a discovery. Here I was, 25 years old, been mowing lawns part time for the past 13 years and I quickly started learning how much easier things could be done.

For example: TRIMMER STORAGE.

Once I had purchased my first trimmer, I've always just tossed it on the trailer bed or in the back of the truck. I didn't know I had options like TRAILERRACKS!! My trimmers have taken a beaten over the years. Primarily, I have broken many guards because that's what the trimmer head end lays on. The other bigger problem, the engin end always rested on the gas tank. Well, a plastic tank always being dropped, dragged, strewn, what ever you want to call it in the truck bed, on the ground, on the trailer, is going to damage the fuel tank. I have had to replace many fuel tanks because they have worn holes in the bottom. The third problem is that the trimmers always fall over onto their side while traveling. This of course causes more damage and can result in fuel leakage causing more damage to my truck/trailer. The fourth problem results from loose trimmers falling off an open trailer. I have forgotten to strap them down, the strap has broken, and I've said goodbye to a couple trimmers as they skip down the highway into a thousand pieces. The fifth and final problem I have encountered is of course theft from a trimmer being loose. As you can see, I've learned every lesson about proper trimmer storage the hard way and could desparately use the newest technology to assist.

In closing, the invention and continued innovation of products such as TRAILERRACKS are critical to improving the Lawn Care industry. They will only increase productivity and reduce damage to equipment.

2012 GMC 3500HD
9'2" Boss Power V Snowplow
Sno-Ex Sand Pro
2001 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel
9'2" Boss Power VXT Snowplow
1.75 yard sander
2013 22' Suretrac HD Skid Steer trailer
2012 24' Suretrac HD Deckover trailer
2011 72" Kubota ZD331 Diesel
2009 60" Kubota ZD331 Diesel (with bagger)
Stihl trimmers, echo PAS

Page generated in 0.04895 seconds with 7 queries