View Single Post
Old 08-17-2007, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Starting Organic Lawn - Proper Order?

Hello to all, I have a question about the proper order of soil amendments in implementing an organic lawn. I have approximately half an acre of Bermuda grass that I cut close to 2 inches but haven't cut it in two weeks. In addition to 105 F weather, we are going through a bad drought here in North Mississippi, so much so that our community is under water restrictions now. Everything I have read says that an organic lawn will have lower water needs, so thinking ahead for next year, I am here. I have read all the FAQ's but my question is about the proper way to start - the proper order.

1) To get the soil started on the right foot, I can get my hands on really good Cotton Burr compost from the delta for about $25 a yard, which means I would need approximately 20 yards for cost of $500. Two other options are I can make some compost tea and apply it or I can buy and spray some Green Sense Microbial Treatment (approx $45). My question is although the spray would be better on my back and wallet, would it benefit the lawn as much as the actual compost? And if so, which spray would be better?

To add more confusion, a local nursery told me to wait until the weather is in the 70's before doing the Green Sense spray, saying that the microbes might burn up in this heat. That means waiting several more weeks. Are there any other options I am missing?

2) After this I was planning on getting some good corn meal or alfalfa pellets at our local farmer's co-op and applying that at the proper rate at a 90 day cycle. Question is do I have to wait any period of time after doing step 1? If I have to wait two months for the weather to cooperate to do step 1, can I go ahead with step 2 now and then step 1 when the temps drop? Or will the corn meal be wasted without the proper microbes, etc in the soil?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Gary

Page generated in 0.04224 seconds with 7 queries