View Single Post
Old 09-01-2007, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Mimosas in OH, IN and IL -your feedback

I'm considering growing a small number of mimosa to try out on a trail basis up here in Warren County OH. I've had an increasing number of people asking about them, and frankly, I've seen too many of them over the last couple of years doing too well to ignore as a potential moneymaker. I know the historical argument against them is that they're short-lived trees and they're messy. But they're short-lived and messy down south, too, and many folks down there love them anyway. One thing you can say about them is that they can handle drought, and high pH. And if we are actually warming in climate (of course, debatable still), wouldn't this be a great choice for Midwest gardens? (Last week, I spent about 1/2 hour watching bumblebees and hummingbirds compete for the blooms on a mimosa I've successfully grown here in Ohio for the last 3 seasons, and it was like watching a miniature SCI-FI movie!) Thus, I see this is being especially marketable to the flower gardeners and bird lovers. Any other NORTHERN nursery guys or landscapers have any expertise here?

Page generated in 0.04101 seconds with 7 queries