Thread: PDA's
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2001, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I love technology, so don't get me wrong. I get every little electronic gizmo I can justify a need for.

But I still can't figure out what the heck a PDA would do for me. I do like the reminder alarms like Premo mentioned, but my cell phone has that feature.

Like you, earth, I use a planner system (Franklin Covey) and I love it. I don't know what Dayrunner has available but Franklin makes a page or insert for everything I need. And from what I can tell, it's a lot easier to use. For instance, when I get a call from a new or return client (which happens a good 10 times a day in the spring) it's pretty simple to open my planner to the 'contact log' and write down their name, address, phone number, and description of the work they want done. I question whether I would be able to do it as fast with a PDA.

It's also very easy for me to look up info on an exisiting client. I have a seperate indexed address book for my clients in my planner. If existing customer Joe Blow calls and asks about his rates or whatever, it takes me only 5 seconds to open my planner and turn to the B section and get all of his information. Again, I question if I could look up stuff that fast with a PDA.

I see no reason to store numbers in a PDA because my cell phone stores like 300 numbers.

Again, I just can't find any justification for owning one. although I am very interested in them.

Personally, I think cell phones are becoming more and more like PDAs every day. I know there are some cell phones on the market that ARE PDAs as well. And I think they all will be in time. So I have just decided to wait.

In the mean time, most of the new cell phones have the best functions of PDAs built in. Mine, for instance, has voice notes, calender / reminders. speech recognition and dialing, Internet, Java Applications and games, a huge phone book, message pad, caclulator, and a bunch of other cool stuff.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon

Page generated in 0.03928 seconds with 7 queries