Thread: Insurance Audit
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2002, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LawnLad
Charles - if you're buying from an agent and he values your business, tell him you don't want to deal with the invasive crap and that he should place you with a more "business friendly" carrier.

The agent I was with when I started out put me with Celina Insurance. They wanted to audit by payroll hours. Their formulas for part time and full time (didn't correlate with seasonal) would have cost me about 15 to 20 man hours of office prep to convert numbers. I tried to work through it with them, but ultimately they said it had to be their way. I told them I wouldn't submit to an audit since they were being unreasonable.

I went to Grange Insurance through the same agent, avoiding the BS audit. Grange did it off of payroll dollars. My agent used to set the amount each year when we'd review the policy. Never had to show documentation.

I think it comes down to your agent, the carrier demands, and what your agent can do for you in that relationship. Find someone who values your business and understands your concerns and will find a less intrusive way to check the information.
One thing to consider is that some policies are based on straight time dollars, so if you are paying overtime at time & 1/2 and they look at total dollars, you will be paying too much.

Good point about the agent & company, I see a lot of companies that do a mail out audit, they send you a form to fill out and send back to them with wage information for the policy period, they don't have to actually come examine your records.

Page generated in 0.05065 seconds with 7 queries