Thread: RWF, Inc.
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2008, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picasso Services View Post
a second axle wont do a thing to help the frame. that was a box truck to start with so it had a light weight single frame. if you want a heavy duty truck you go with a double frame or a hd single frame. most guys will add a second frame to a box truck when converting to a dump to help with problems like that.
First of all, let me say I am NOt flaming anyone here.

But to add to what Picasso wrote -

I see so many scapers with trucks that are SO incorrectly speced.....it's not funny.

My old man used to own a GMC truck dealership in PA many years ago. At that time they were the 7th largest GMC dealership in the United States. Well...back in 1997 I went out on my own and bought a 3500HD stake body with a 12' bed. ON A 5' CAB TO AXLE!!!! I never asked my dad for his opinion on the truck before buying it.

After I bought it he took one look at the truck, and another look at the 12' body, then asked me to get the tape measure. He had me put the tape on the rear corner of the cab and he pulled the tape to the center of the rear axle. He said "DVS, you're going to eat front tires, you have a 12' bed on a 5' cab to axle". I didn't understand what he was talking about and I just blew it off.

Well sure enough! The front tires started cupping!

I see landscape stake bodies all the time with incorrect weight distrubition. Think of the bed as a teeter-totter filled with water. When that bed is filled with water, will all the weight be on the rear axle, lifting the front of the truck up and cupping the front tires, or will all the weight be distrubuted appropriately on both axles???

Landscapers like their locker boxes on their work trucks. But, if all the calculations are not done, those lockers can cause you to eat front tires, as when loaded with soil, sand, or gravel - all the weight will be at the rear of the frame, thus causing the headlights to shine in the tree tops, thus causing the front tires to cup.

I saw a scaper last week in our area driving his new 1 ton dump! Boy I bet he's proud of that truck! The bed was filled with soil, and man, that front end was as high up as it could go!!

There is much more to buying work trucks other than whether it has a diesel or a gasser. So much more than how many yards of mulch you can carry.

Some things to take into consideration are:

- Frame strength. (I'd hate to see our F-650 get in a accident!)

- Transmission Size

- Gear ratio

- Cab to axle measurement. Will the weight be distributed correctly?

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.

Page generated in 0.03452 seconds with 7 queries