Thread: employees
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2002, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a book keeper - about 20 hrs a week
We use Paychex
We use Quick Books
I have an accountant

The point is that you can use whatever combination of products/service to do the job that you want. Remember this - you are in business to be in business. The widget of your business is not the point of you waking up every day. To this end, manage the heck out of your business.

You may pay an accountant a $100 an hour - it will be worth your money. Maybe you dont' have them do every accounting function. Reduce your professional fees by doing some of the leg work yourself or hiring it a lower cost by having someone do some of your bookwork. I choose to use Paychex because they are professionals at one thing - Payroll. It's their job. They have a system. It's better than mine - and it's better than my accountants. Who cares if my accountant is $5.00 cheaper. Focus on what you do best - hire others to do what they do best.

I like to think of myself as a general manager of a baseball team. I hire the best position players to create a winning team. I may need to bring some people in for certain jobs here and there, and then drop 'em back to the minors or "trade" 'em after they've done their job. I try to hire (employees or vendors) that can make up for my weaknesses. Surround yourself with good people with good talent and skills.

Page generated in 0.04196 seconds with 7 queries