View Single Post
Old 01-26-2000, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Member

fpena,<p>If you have the means, attempt to find someone that is &quot;seeling out&quot; their company. Take the equipment, accounts, everything that is included in the sale. This way you aren't sitting around with a business plan and no where to go. The accounts will start to bring in some capital rather than starting from scratch.<p>This is how I got rolling, but their are drawbacks. If the company you are purchasing lowballed jobs, did shoody work, or just generally pissed folks off you are gonna find out about it. In my case, the guy lowballed jobs. And to top it off I bought the business during a year that we had a drought. I really got double-whammied. The upside was the equipment wasn't half bad.<p>As far as a truck goes, scrap the S-10 idea. Go and a get 3/4 ton. This is very important. Equally important is a good trailer. There is nothing worse than trying to fix a piece of crap trailer when you know darn good and well that you should be out getting things accomplished. I have lived this first hand and it sucks!!! <p>If you want to get your name noticed try fliers and little things like that. Get yourself established by doing a good job and let things happen. You will be amazed the referals that you get. That is how I get most of my work. People come to me and ask me to do sevices for them. It is a great situation.<p>In regard to employees, my motto is forget about them. Personally, I schedule enough work to keep me busy. My feeling is that with the selection of employees so thin that you are really scraping the bottom of the barrel to get good people. If you tell a customer that you can deliver a service then it doesn't shake down because your employees didn't show or screwed around all day you are the one that is out, not the employee. The employees know that jobs are readily available everywhere you turn. I had a guy tell me that he didn't care if he was fired because &quot;he was looking for a job when he got this one&quot;. With attitudes like that you are going to suffer much more than you gain. <p>Finally, hard work pays off like you wouldn't believe. If you bust your tail and always strive to learn something and apply it sensibly to your business, you will do just fine. There will be some bumps in the road along the way but just keep your chin up and keep swinging. In the end you are at the mercy of yourself. If you fail, look in the mirror. The only person you have to answer to is yourself. <p>----------<br>Jay Raley<br>The Good Earth Grounds Management

Page generated in 0.04686 seconds with 7 queries