View Single Post
Old 01-21-2009, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Business Management Series - Your Selling Points

I have an old buddy whom we built a patio for. This buddy of mine also knows another guy that does patios in our area. My buddy used my company for a number of reasons, and his neighbor used the other contractor. (his neighbor never contacted us to give an estimate, they started the process before we were in the community)

Well, my buddy was talking to his neighbor about their new patios after all was said and done, and my buddy had repeated what his neighbor said about the guy that did his patio. And it made me realize "wow, we really have him beat as far as customer service goes, I need to take this and use it for a sales advantage". So I been working on making this positive attribute of my company known to prosepctive clients.

Ya know, if you need your carpet cleaned, you don't interview 3 or 4 carpet cleaning companies. You simply call a company and schedule a day and time for them to come to your home, and about the only question you ask is "how much".

But for our industry, there is a process that most home owners go through when selecting a home improvement contractor. And the process usually involves meeting with 3 contractors.

Your prospective clients work in professional fields, they don't know the first thing about hardscape construction. All they know is that they want a backyard paradise and they want it to look like what they see in catalogs and pictures. They're obtaining 3, maybe 4 estimates. They called you and want you to do the job.

1) Other than your sexy smelling cologne, what is it that you do that stood out and made them like you? Is it one item or multiple items?

Do you even know your company's positive attributes?

And I don't wanna hear about your fricken ICPI certification. ICPI certification is like white work trucks - everyone has one.

2) Ok, now say your established company is doing really well. You're not too concerned about what the other contractors do. You're in your comfort zone. Ok, great, but could there be some details you're overlooking that even though you're bursting at the seams - could be causing you to loose a handfull of sales each year?

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 01-21-2009 at 11:53 AM.

Page generated in 0.04118 seconds with 7 queries