View Single Post
Old 02-19-2009, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRoyale View Post
Is it possible you were doing too much of the wrong type of work (resi) for your setup?
Yes.

I was very heavy in the residential market.

There are many different directions you can go in this business that will provide different outcomes.

I tried to be a large mow and go operation. In my opinion, unless you have very very strict cost controls, and very large volume, its not a sustainable business.

If you target a smaller number of customers, provide "full service" to all of them, you can follow a different path.

You can target only commercial.

I did the same with sealcoating.

I could have focused on residential. Or a mix of residential and small commercial.

None of those fit into my plan of where I want to be. I decided to focus on very large commercial.

Though I could have done the others and been successful as well with what I know now.

I think more of my point is that while most guys on here are growing their residential business and many are talking about getting into the 100+ account range with multiple crews, that business model is probably the most difficult of all.

Though high volume mow and go is the simplest service you can offer, its the most difficult to manage.

Page generated in 0.03994 seconds with 7 queries