View Single Post
Old 02-19-2009, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROCUT1 View Post
Yes.

I was very heavy in the residential market.

There are many different directions you can go in this business that will provide different outcomes.

I tried to be a large mow and go operation. In my opinion, unless you have very very strict cost controls, and very large volume, its not a sustainable business.

If you target a smaller number of customers, provide "full service" to all of them, you can follow a different path.

You can target only commercial.

I did the same with sealcoating.

I could have focused on residential. Or a mix of residential and small commercial.

None of those fit into my plan of where I want to be. I decided to focus on very large commercial.

Though I could have done the others and been successful as well with what I know now.

I think more of my point is that while most guys on here are growing their residential business and many are talking about getting into the 100+ account range with multiple crews, that business model is probably the most difficult of all.

Though high volume mow and go is the simplest service you can offer, its the most difficult to manage.
Your plan of focusing on large commercial account only is a great plan, thats how many companies have gotten where they are, how do you think the paving company doin the interstate in town got where they are? Because they focused on large commercial jobs and didnt bother with driveways, and things of that nature...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!

Page generated in 0.04251 seconds with 7 queries