View Single Post
Old 02-22-2009, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelracer View Post
The original post is so right on its not even funny. I was told this basic idea by an old timer back when I begun, and although I questioned it I always remembered it. As I developed the business it made more sense. I run into "big" guys all the time and they usually laugh and joke about my small little business. They then proceed to tell me how many tandems and excavators they own and are sitting idle, then they try to get me to buy an investment house that they have been sitting on for 2 years. Years ago I would feel intimidated, but today I can confidently laugh, look them straight in the eye, and say "that's nice but I still make more money than you." The ones that know it shut up real fast. There is a very good reason that in a market with 50+ companies there are only a handful that have been around more than 10 years.
No need to laugh in their face. I know it is a nice feeling to know you have something better then they do. Let them have their fun at your expense, let your actions do your talking. Let them scoff at your small operation, but then when they see the house your living in, the car your driving, etc. Let that do the talking, they'll question and wonder how you are doing what you are doing. It will give them something to talk about. In the end, your silence speaks VOLUMES as far as your character goes, and the large group of people not doing the name calling will respect you even more for it.

Take care.

3+ years going strong.

Page generated in 0.04921 seconds with 7 queries