Thread: Compost?
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2009, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepGreenLawn View Post
My concern with a sequestered N compost is how long would it take for the N to become available in the amounts needed for the turf? Any studies to show the time it takes to notice the exchange?

And from what I understand... Bermuda grass for instance, the lawn will request the N it needs from the soil through the microbes... which means, in my case here, that the compost will have to be replenished as to be able to provide the needed N for a healthy lawn... how do you know if they N is there and available if you can't measure for it? Just keep adding to be safe?
I use vermicompost, so cannot speak much about thermophilic compost but I've never had a problem with the nitrogen requirements being available for the plants. I often plant seeds directly into 100% vermicompost. When I had a hay farm in a more populated area, where manure was cheap we would often spread chicken manure in wood shavings/dust across our field. This degraded quite quickly with good greening results. Now we run horses over the field in winter and have a resident herd of elk (200 or so) which hang out and poo over winter. Most Springs we harrow this to spread and break it up. The horse manure breaks down very rapidly (into compost?). We have never used any other amendments. I've already posted a photo of our 7 foot hay.

There are other sources of organic matter which contribute to feed the soil which may work for you; fish hydrolysate? grass clippings? humic acid?

Page generated in 0.04529 seconds with 7 queries