View Single Post
Old 04-25-2009, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Yes, that is all true and have the same problems at times. My concern is why mess with the compost? The compost should do its job in the soil naturally without being altered by massive urea inputs b4 it is applied to soil.
When I need more N that I can't get quickly enough from natural sources I just used a cheap bag of synthetic 46-0-0 slow release.

Any applications of compost need to be used as compost applications not as super-boosters of N. IMO.
The important question to me is: "Does altered compost effect the soil structure changes we have come to expect from compost?"

Compost is NOT a fertilizer pre se, it is best as a soil conditioner, balancer, microbe feed, soil structure builder, CE site provider and slow release fert, in my view, but I could be wrong. That is why I raise the questions that may be overlooked.
I see compost blends as a very effective form of fertilizing. Not only are you adding the mineral N, you are adding the CE sites with it, and the microbes that will pull the N right into the soil food web... and by pre mixing, you are maximizing the quantity of ions attached to the OM... and by premixing, your applicators (who get paid more than the shop tech) are spending less time on the property... etc.

If it compost/fert mixing wasn't an effective way of doing it, Barry would not be getting such rave reviews with his stuff from the guys in the chem forum.

Also remember, I plan on using blood meals, etc over the urea... but for now urea is my supply.

Page generated in 0.04789 seconds with 7 queries