View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansashoosier View Post
I'm an electrician, so education is something I value greatly in terms of doing a job properly. That being said, Malibu's lack of education to me is no different than a lot of the distributors and manufacturers who sell over the internet to any and all at contractor pricing, both in the low and high voltage world, with little to no concern about who is installing it or how they are installing it, and only to "make a buck". Some of the more respected posters on this sight have been on DIY shows. Who do you think primarily watches those shows? People who want to do it themselves. How much education are they getting across in a 5 minute segment on a home improvement show, but they sure as heck want their name to be seen or heard on that show.
When they see a lighting contractor put a strainer on top of a pole on top of lamp, don't you think that gives them all kinds of unsafe ideas because they saw someone on TV do it. Malibu isn't the only one who put out a low grade product and didn't educate as much as you would like. To overcome that, you have to know how to sell, educate, and install, and if a contractor can't do that, perhaps another line of work is in order.

Hey bud, I wouldn't be knocking Tommy around here. That guy is incredibly innovative in the field of lighting. There is a reason he was asked to be on a major network program like Yard Crashers. You may want to brush up on some of the older threads Tommy wrote about some of the personal mental struggles he had over the very issues you brought up. It is the DIY network which is definitely not what we do, but he is hoping to bring new creative thought to some watching, (more than your typical runway lights and spot lights on trees), even in a small way, anyway he can. Obviously as Tom mentioned, some people are just going to be DIYers. Also, are you honestly going to tell me that you wouldn't go on a national show if you were invited?

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com

Page generated in 0.03788 seconds with 7 queries