View Single Post
Old 05-02-2009, 03:20 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

how much population and years to be full time?

After doing Landscape lighting stuff as part of a landscape maintenance and install business for 20 plus years now,

I've been dabbling at this thing a little more serious for a few years now, trying to build a full time landscape lighting schedule for myself and a worker from March 1 to sept 1, our essential off season for Christmas lights. We have 500,000 folks in 2 counties, and if only the top 1% get lights ( not necessarily true), that is 5000 potential customers. I have addresses of the top 1% income folks for postcarding, and that number is about right. I really only need 3 small to medium ( 16-40 fixtures) jobs a week, for 5 months, or about 23 weeks. that is only 60 jobs per year. Based on a reasonable close ratio of 30% ( but I tend to close closer to 40 ) that would mean I would need 180 bids per year to get those jobs. so given the revenue for those jobs would be in the neighborhood of 350k, is it reasonable to say that 10 percent, or 35k in marketing cost would yield you that many bids/closed jobs? is that a self sustaining machine? I probably see 40 bids per year and am closing maybe 25, but then that was last year and this year is way slower.

I have dabbled in postcards but always end up doing less because I tend to treat the profits of my Christmas light business ad the savings account that gets me to the next season, so I never risk the kind of dollars it may take ( 5k per month? 7? ) to truly get enough bids to close enough jobs and so forth.

anybody out there got a feel for where the number should be? I would rather have a business that markets more and has more sales, but I guess I am afraid to spend that first 35 grand to see what happens. any thoughts ?

Page generated in 0.04295 seconds with 7 queries